Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Car Insurance Thread

Hey guys,

I just renewed my car insurance policy and was pretty stoked to save like 150 bucks over the next 6 months. I thought it would be really helpful to be able to see a range of what people driving record is like/what state they live in/what their car insurance company/rates are as we dump an assload of money into car insurance every year.

I got into an accident when i turned 16(9 years ago). Swerved to miss someone coming at me head on and ended up flying between 2 trees, landing in the ditch and shockingly no one was hurt(witnesses said they thought we would all be dead). Ive gotten 2-3 tickets but those are all off my record now. So officially, my record is "clean", in that the state of California has assigned me 0 points.

2 years ago I was insured through Mercury Insurance, I paid 830/6 months. Last year I switched to esurance and paid 692/6 months. When I just turned 25 last month I was told that my car insurance rates would plummet. So i called esurance to see if I would get a discount. They informed me that all of their rates were going up, so that while I would be getting a "discount" my rates would be going up. After this, I called a bunch of places(geico, progressive, etc) and geico ended up being by far the cheapest at 510/6months. I am pretty stoked about this, but at the same time I have always found it a bit troubling that the state forces us to have insurance and the rates are generally so insanely high. It seems like theyre kind of subsidizing the insurance companies with this law, no?

Coverages:
Bodily Injury Liability(BI) $100,000 / $300,000

Property Damage Liability(PD) $50,000

Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist $100,000 / $300,000

Comprehensive(COMP) $500 deductible

Collision(COLL) $500 deductible
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Car Insurance Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty stoked about this, but at the same time I have always found it a bit troubling that the state forces us to have insurance and the rates are generally so insanely high. It seems like theyre kind of subsidizing the insurance companies with this law, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about the States but in Canada we only need to buy 3rd party insurance which is pretty minimal. I'm pretty sure that is the same in the States. Your coverage seems to be much higher then what would be legislatively required by law.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:22 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

Yeah, that another one of the problems, the insurance knows the exact coverage people are required to have, so that is expensive, but adding more to it really doesnt add much more in cost, so I generally get better than the minimum, as I believe my benefits are double the minimum and it made my yearly premium go up like 10% or so.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:53 PM

Insurance is the biggest legal scam in the world.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Insurance is the biggest legal scam in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

except that it is actually one of the great inventions of civilization and is one of the key innovations that make a modern economy possible.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:06 PM

none of you guys are doing what youre supposed to be doing btw.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:09 PM

I pay about $225/6mos., GEICO, Ohio, minimum legal coverage. I have a clean record except for one speeding ticket.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM

What are we suppose to be doing?

Listing our insurance?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pay about $225/6mos.

[/ QUOTE ]

HYSKAKCKAHKAHCKAKCHAK.

WHY IS SOMEONE IN OHIO PAYING 300 DOLLLARS LESS THAN ME?!? THIS IS THE KIND OF TILT INDUCING STUFF I WAS WAITING FOR!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:22 PM

Is there a less interesting activity in the world than comparing car insurance rates?