Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Ratholing NL08.

What's your thoughts on these type of people who buyin for the mininum (if bust, reload for mininum) and once win leave and come back in a half an hour?

I was just curious as I've started to do it (as it's amazingly +EV [equity and diffulty wise]), but sometimes I feel like scum.

On the other hand, I love these people to come because they generate the most action because the full stacks are afraid to commit.

Thoughts?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Ratholing NL08.

It sucks and ruins games for those of us who are looking to play poker?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was just curious as I've started to do it (as it's amazingly +EV [equity and diffulty wise]), but sometimes I feel like scum.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that playing shortstacked is amazingly +EV in PLO8. Most playable hands should be to close in terms of equity preflop and you have to hit the flop in order to get a significant equity edge. But because you have to raise preflop in PL to get your chips all-in on the flop you will also face a lot of tough decisions if you miss the flop. In my opinion playing tight aggressive (VP$IP: 20%) with 1/2 buy-in should be easy to execute and more profitable.

BTW, at the lower levels where I play I don't have encountered a winning shortstacker until now.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM

yea sham i tried it on fulltilt 5-10 for a while and MATT we are talking about NO LIMIT but GREAT POINT lol......i ended up like +4k in a week and a half just buying in 298 or 240 (2 whatever change i had)....i agree it IS suprising +EV and i only started losing in the game when i bought in for full....buying in short minimizes losses as well.....all in all if i were to play on fulltilt again id prlly rathol, but then again i make too much on stars to waste my time and get frusterated with it
Old 10-04-2007, 03:21 PM

This is the main reason why I personally think NL O8 is a stupid game. It might be very profitable for those who know what they are doing, but I still wouldn't play it. At least in PL (a) there is an element of poker that is hard to get away from and (b) shortstacking is less optimal and, I think, much more difficult to succeed at in a significant manner, as compared to no limit games. Bodog has its share of shortstackers, and there's only one that I know who makes money at the game, and it's not like he makes a lot.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Jury is still out for me on whether it is +EV. I buy-in short because I don't have the roll to play full, and I do NOT emply a rat-hole method of leaving for a half hour and coming back. I consider that unethical. I buy-in for $300-$400 (which is about the level I have the roll to play). I agree it does make decisions considerably easier against LAGs.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jury is still out for me on whether it is +EV. I buy-in short because I don't have the roll to play full, and I do NOT emply a rat-hole method of leaving for a half hour and coming back. I consider that unethical. I buy-in for $300-$400 (which is about the level I have the roll to play). I agree it does make decisions considerably easier against LAGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same roll considerations as you, I generally do not leave after winning a pot or two and try to build up from there. That game has been one of my most profitable over the last 6 months though - I am running at about 4BB/100 over the last 6 months.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Buying short and ratholing is unquestionably +EV in NLO8 if you know what you're doing. That's why people do it.

It's a mixed bag in PLO8 unless you're at a table full of LAGtards and can consistently get your $$ in PF.

As for "unethical," that's in the eye of the beholder. It certainly isn't illegal or against the rules. It isn't any more unethical than buying in for a million dollars in a 1/2 NL game where everyone has $100 and you just bully everyone to death.

The fact of the matter is that people who imply that it's unethical just don't like it because it cuts into their edge. If it helped you to win more money, you would never complain about "ethics."

That said, yes, this is why NLO8 is such a stupid game. But hey, if you know that it's stupid, don't play.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM

Ratholing gone bad....

Old 10-04-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ratholing gone bad....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if that is the first 4 days of Oct. Good luck with your no losing months streak. That is a wicked 4 day down streak.