Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 AM

Default I gotta ask this about TV hurricane coverage. Hope it\'s not too lame

Ok, I get it that the networks are going to cover every hurricane. What I don't get is that while everybody else is being told to run away the networks send a reporter to stand outside in the hurricane and tell the world that it's windy and raining. What's up w/ that? Also, I've noticed that CNN at least has sent 3 reporters of their own to Jamaica, the Caymans and the Yucatan. What the heck is up w/ that? Can't they get some local schlub to stand out in the wind and rain to say that it's windy and rainy? Is it a punishment to be sent to cover wind and rain? How is it worth it to buy plane tickets for a reporter when you can get a 'local'?

Lastly, if you were a CNN reporter would you want to go out into a category 5 hurricane (w/ reported winds of 195 mph at one point) and risk your life? Not me, that's for sure. And before somebody says they send them to the edge of the thing where it's safer nobody can really tell which way these things are going to turn.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: I gotta ask this about TV hurricane coverage. Hope it\'s not too

Im not sure about the news reporters but im sure the meteorologists love this sort of thing. Id sure as hell want this assignment.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:22 AM

I got a cousin who chases tornadoes as a hobby. He pays a lot of money to do it.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a cousin who chases tornadoes as a hobby. He pays a lot of money to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he needs some really fancy off-road truck. What else does he have to pay for?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:39 AM

Howard, the reporter isn't just there to stand in the wind and rain for the 5-second live shot -- they also get what's called "a story," whereby the reporter looks around the area, talks to locals, gathers information, and forms an entire piece that is either filmed there or pieced together later.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Howard, the reporter isn't just there to stand in the wind and rain for the 5-second live shot -- they also get what's called "a story," whereby the reporter looks around the area, talks to locals, gathers information, and forms an entire piece that is either filmed there or pieced together later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I know that. And it's the same story every time. Knocked down trees, roofs blown off, hopefully only a few people killed and injured, people staying in the school building, emergency aid and all of that. But there are certainly Jamaican and Mexican news reporters who can do it for them and they know the people and the area better. And besides, OOT is not the place for common sensical, reasonable answers is it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 05:06 AM

Nobody wants to see some colored dude interviewing some colored dude. We want to see a brave american risking his or her life interviewing some colored dude.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:10 AM

I'm not so sure Middle America is ready for this guy reporting the evening news.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not so sure Middle America is ready for this guy reporting the evening news.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think CBS should boot Katie and hire this guy. Ratings go way up. I know I'D watch him.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 AM

You meed to consider that the local reporters have their own families and homes to protect. Those local reports might get mad as hell if they are told to cover the story while leaving their families to fend for themselves.