Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-22-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Get a projector

Hey all,

Im planning on buying a pair of klipsch tower speakers to start building a surround sound system. What receiver should I buy to pair with these? I guess the end goal is to have a 5.1 setup

fwiw I also have an 37" lcd, ps3, and hd-dvr. So I would need a receiver that has hdmi support.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

Im planning on buying a pair of klipsch tower speakers to start building a surround sound system. What receiver should I buy to pair with these? I guess the end goal is to have a 5.1 setup

fwiw I also have an 37" lcd, ps3, and hd-dvr. So I would need a receiver that has hdmi support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, forgot to put one that Im looking at. Overkill? Onkyo TX-SR605
Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oops, forgot to put one that Im looking at. Overkill? Onkyo TX-SR605

[/ QUOTE ]

After doing a fair amount of research got one and think it's very decent and hardly overkill.

As an aside I got it for $400 plus tax from Circuit City several months ago when they had an online sale with in store pickup at the online price. Not sure if other stores do that sort of thing (e.g., Best Buy) but I like that method of buying for something that could be f'd up out of the box.

~ Rick
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: iPod to stereo receiver

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most Ipod docks will connect to any stereo cause thye have RCA plugs.

[/ QUOTE ]
That makes sense. Thanks. Are there any compelling reasons for getting the Onkyo-specific dock (beyond the possibility of using my current Onkyo receiver remote), or will the DLO, Kensington, etc. brands work equally well?

[/ QUOTE ]

A frienf of mine has the Onkyo dock and it sends song info (title, artist) to the receiver, and you can see it on screen. It's butt-ugly white on black text much like the receiver's set-up screens. Maybe newer versions send album art though.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

[/ QUOTE ]

For $400 - the all digital Panasonic SA-XR57s is suposed to be decent

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elect...5702#tabsection
Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,

[/ QUOTE ]

For $400 - the all digital Panasonic SA-XR57s is suposed to be decent

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elect...5702#tabsection

[/ QUOTE ]

Great reciever IMO, and you can probably get it cheaper from Amazon. Only thing is that I would reccommend checking with the audiophiles at AVSForum because some speakers don't pair well with an all digital reciever.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Anyone want to weigh in on the importance of contrast ratio? Is there any kind of limit on the contrast ratio from a standard 720p television signal?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone want to weigh in on the importance of contrast ratio? Is there any kind of limit on the contrast ratio from a standard 720p television signal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrast ratio is very important, particularly if you watch a lot of movies or other things with dark scenes. CR is just the ratio of the brightness of the brightest part of the screen to the darkest part of the screen. Watch out for dynamic v. static/native CR. Dynamic is the ratio of the brightest the TV can ever be to the darkest it can ever be (while on), which is going to be a bigger number than native CR, which is calculated at a single point in time. There's nothing wrong with either measure, but don't compare apples to oranges.

I believe, but am not sure, that there is no limit to CR. I'm sure there's a practical limit in that it's probably impossible to distinguish between 50k:1 and 100k:1.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I project this on a regular wall. If you don't have a big empty wall or live in an apartment, then get a good screen for around $250-$500 depending on the size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool photos. What size is the projected image?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I project this on a regular wall. If you don't have a big empty wall or live in an apartment, then get a good screen for around $250-$500 depending on the size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool photos. What size is the projected image?

[/ QUOTE ]

Around 140". This is optimal for the room I have. The projector sits about 14' back. Projectors aren't what they used to be. The picture quality is right up there with plasmas when viewing HD channels. You can see every drop of sweat on the football players [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]