Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Obsolete Skills

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't even know what a sine or a tangent or a cosine is. At all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sines and cosines of angles are the vertical and horizontal components of the position of a point on the perimeter of a unit circle lying at that angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that was English but I still have no idea what you just said. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dark room work. I was an avid photographer as a kid, and sometimes did commercial darkroom work as an adult. Now I've got a little $90 Samsung digital, and a bagful of clothes with hypo stains and nowhere to wear them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

{The carhops at the local Sonic know how to make change. Must have something to do with the retro atmosphere...}

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, photography in general is an obsolete skill. Granted, there are still plenty of people who have great skills and know how to use their camera other than the "standard" setting, but it's changed dramatically. Having your picture taken used to be a big deal and the photographer had to know what they were doing. Nowadays, anyone can take a decent picture... with their phone.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) cash register attendants: can't do simple arithmitic, i just feel bad for these people. It makes me realize how bad the education system is in our country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill is $5.61. They enter the cost and the amount you gave them ($10) and they see the result on the display ($4.39). You then proceed to hand them 11 cents. Watch with amusement at the resulting deer-in-headlights look and wisps of smoke curling out of their ears.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I worked retail, I basically turned my brain off. So I just gave the person however much the machine told me to give. So if a customer all of a sudden gave me 11 cents, I have no idea what he is doing, because I hadn't been paying attention since I mentioned the total. Not stupidity, just complete lack of attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to comment on this as well. While it's true that a lot of cashiers are just [censored] stupid, the effect is magnified by the fact that in most instances the cashier really has no need to pay any attention to what is going on. I am very good with numbers and for the most part I had no problem handling these types of things, but every now and then I'd just be on autopilot and completely [censored] something up. For example, a guy gives me change so he can get an even dollar amount in return, but I hit a wrong key when typing it, and the machine tells me to give him some strange number of cents back and I do it, and he thinks I've lost my mind.

Or the bill is $14.39 and someone gives me $20.00 but I enter $2.00 and now it tells me $12.39 and doesn't open the drawer... obviously I can calculate $20.00 - $14.39 in my head but the problem is that I don't even remember what it was that he owed in the first place, or what I just did (after doing it a couple times then you realize you missed a zero and just need to do $18.00 now to fix it, but the first time it happens is very confusing).

To the customer, they know what they owe, and how much money they gave, so it seems easy... but the cashier has been dealing with these numbers for hours on end and it all just runs together. Once I'm done with a number, it just gets purged from my brain. I think one time someone didn't even give me enough money and I didn't realize it until the machine told me they still owed more.

ok, sorry for the hijack, I got carried away =(
Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM

cooking, how many people do you know that can prepare a full meal from scratch? or even just buy a chicken some veggies, etc, and get a meal out of it, w/o freaking? honestly I think that men are becoming more adept than women nowadays in the kitchen.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cooking, how many people do you know that can prepare a full meal from scratch? or even just buy a chicken some veggies, etc, and get a meal out of it, w/o freaking? honestly I think that men are becoming more adept than women nowadays in the kitchen.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm a way better cook than my mom [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't even know what a sine or a tangent or a cosine is. At all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sines and cosines of angles are the vertical and horizontal components of the position of a point on the perimeter of a unit circle lying at that angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that was English but I still have no idea what you just said. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres the graphs:

Sine:

Cosine:

They are made from some crap involving circles that I wont explain. Just look at the purdy graph!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While this might be arguable, I think driving a stick shift is becoming a lost art. Less and less new cars feature the standard option, and fewer of the younger generations know how to drive this type of car.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really only true in north america.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's true. In Jamaica we import a lot of 2nd hand cars from Japan. Stick shifts are very much the exception, in a way that wasn't true 15 years ago. Also, automatics used to sell for a premium, they don't any more.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 PM

I used to be able to tap-dial any number on a rotary dial phone. Useful for stealing calls when there was a padlock on the dial.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Philuva,

Researching information without the Internet!

It's hard to imagine the way we had to write reports looking up stuff in card catalogs and microfilm and stuff at the library. Oh man, that sucked. The difference between being good at that or not was incredible in terms of how long it took to get a report or research paper done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using microfilm on my report on Abraham Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure to mentioned how Lincoln issued an arrest warrant for Chief Justice Tawny, the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, when Tawny issued an opinion that Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus was unconstitutional. Jolly old Abe.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Philuva,

Researching information without the Internet!

It's hard to imagine the way we had to write reports looking up stuff in card catalogs and microfilm and stuff at the library. Oh man, that sucked. The difference between being good at that or not was incredible in terms of how long it took to get a report or research paper done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using microfilm on my report on Abraham Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure to mentioned how Lincoln issued an arrest warrant for Chief Justice Tawny, the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, when Tawny issued an opinion that Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus was unconstitutional. Jolly old Abe.

[/ QUOTE ]
I move to restrain this conversation at this point.