Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Default position in PL Draw High

So, saw a 1/2PL game going with > 50% pre and was hoping to jump in (have only played that high once before--usually only play the $50's). Then I noticed that I'd be on the left of two tough opponents, and that the potential fish (no notes on them, so, never seen them) would be on my left.

I usually always go by Caro's "money flows clockwise". I mean, do I really want the tough guys stealing my blinds and not giving me free or cheap looks when the others limp?

My question is: was I right to not sit down? or should I have taken a shot anyway with people being as loose as they were?

~Glenn
Old 04-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: position in PL Draw High

I've been thinking about this question for a while. In hold'em I'd prefer to be on the left of the fish, but I don't seem to care as much in draw. Weak opponents aren't going to give you as much trouble when you're out of position as good players will, and if they're too loose, you make a lot from them calling your raises lightly.

Also, the 1/2 pl game is almost never tough, and in this case seemed to be really soft. The "tough" players in the game really aren't that good, and you shouldn't be worried about playing with them, especially in position.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM

+50% pre is not the only table selection metric. You really need to know more before you sit down.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Hmmm, i would suggest that the benefits of a juicy table won't be outweighed by less than optimal position. This is just a guess though...certainly if the table situation gives you bad vibes, nothing wrong with passing on it.

I remember posting several months back a table, and asked where i would best be sitting. Judging by the "all over the map" responses, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this issue, for draw.

I think generally you are right about sharks on your right, fish on your left. But one thing i would like is the guy on my immediate left to be passive, for when its my SB, his BB, it really sucks to be getting popped mercilessly.

Ideally:
-immeadiate left = fish
-2 to my left = fish
-immeadiate right = fish
- 2 to my right = fish

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] yeah i could rock that table!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:03 AM

actually, something i've been toying with (for limit draw though) is sitting to the RIGHT (!) of the resident TAG, as i know he will respect my open raising. If i'm going to be called/3bet behind, and play the hand OOP, i'd feel more confident if i could put the villain on a tighter range...and i can do taht better with a TAG than a loose-passive. *again, this would be limit.

ex) Hero in cutoff w/ TT44, raises...button flat calls me. I draw 1, he draws 1. If this is a good player behind me, i can ascertain that he's prolly got me beat...but if he's just a random spaz, then who knows, he could very well have 3322 or even a draw.

Furthermore, i will be buying the button more from EP if the players behind me are tight/competent.

***I'm not sure any of the above is correct. Just some rambly thoughts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 AM

Which just supports the Caro opinion, IMO.
Thanks for all the thoughts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As to not caring as much about position in Draw high, I find myself making a lot of decisioned based on where I am, so, at least personally, I can't discount it.

Grasshop3r: what are the other things that you look for? (I'm assuming the people that are in the game..? ie, just cause they're loose, doesn't mean that they aren't winning players?)

Thanks all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]