Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Before I quit let me teach you how poker works

I am about to quit after I hit my $7500 Stars bonus in like 3 weeks to a month, whenever I feel like playing but before I go out in a blaze of glory let me educate you people on just how this game works.

Okay.

For this lecture I will be educating you on Small Stakes cash games. At this level the 2+2 regulars/LP regulars/people that have played 50k+ hands lifetime for the most part play decent poker. they don't spew too much (they do at times) and they understand, for the most part again, pot control, value betting. You won't be getting their money when they have top pair no kicker and you have a set unless they are on full blown tilt or drunk/high.

So therefore and the reason people all across this forum preach it is the theory or whatever you want to call it of "table selection."

It is table selection that finds you with the fish. The fish are generally calling stations that limp/call and call down with the biggest crap ever.

However vs fish your cards 100% matter. You have to make hands against the fish. If you flop the nuts or have the nuts on the river you will run hot and that beautiful poker tracker will be oh so beautiful green.

HOWEVER...

if you make zero draws when they minraise their top pair and allow you to draw at flushes/open enders when you know there is no FE against their top pair you will have no chance to win

If you get all in vs their 10 high flush draw with your set and they hit on you consistently you cannot win because they will NOT fold draws

If you try to value bet AA vs their 86 on a 843 board you are getting called

you are also getting called on the 8435 turn

then you are gonna have to fold to their shove on the 7 river or call their 1/9th sized river bet knowing its no good

See once you get to a certain point you have to "run good" or there is no chance you win at poker because of the fish.

I haven't been able to win because I play with a ton of fish and I cannot make the best hand over a fish.

See, because as this lecture states and is the main point of poker

and I'll put it in bold

The fish will never fold the best hand

There is the rare variety of really nitty fish but generally as I alluded to the fish are huge calling stations and will never fold a draw/pair for any price

If you don't make hands over 12 tables for a 6 hour period you will have to lose

So, yeah, all you small stakes geniuses you think you are amazing at poker because you are crushing $1/2 (i'm talking to you clayton, noahsd, jonnycosmo, pdoran) the only reason you have a high winrate is that you make hands and they HOLD against the fish

because if you practice what you preach ("table selection is key" dont sit with 2+2ers) you will be surrounded by fish who are so bad.

So, in sum, whenever you see a person's graph on here who is winning at $1/2 or 50/1 and to some degree $2/4 NL cash games just know that they are holding the best hand against the fish a LOT and that luck is what is doing it for them.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Default shotgun

nice spin...you should work for fox news or something

lol at the little banjo club coming in for damage control
Old 10-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Before I quit let me teach you how poker works

cliffnotes: poker is unpossible
Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: shotgun

FGators

I read your posts and analysis in ssnl and would from them judge you as a good thinker.

This does not compute.

Did I just get leveled or something?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

qfmft
Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Before I quit let me teach you how poker works

[x]can't beat fish

100% agree for all poker games. you gotta make hands and get lucky to win.

Well I guess I still have to educate, I thought my post would be clear and backed up.

What point do you NOT understand?

If you sit with all fish and know for a fact that if you make hands you'll win tons of money (people call them droolers for a reason) then you also will know that if you don't make hands its impossible to win.

Pretty simple stuff. Poker is all about luck if you table select well and frankly I'd rather sit with fish but realize that if I play my "A game" it doesn't matter against them if I'm running freezing cold every session.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM

sigh fgators you should just quit right now.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

qfmft

[/ QUOTE ]