Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Joe Sebok Barred From Canada Over Vandalism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i heard this, and was just wondering why sebok wouldn't just tell them he was going to play in the tournament, since i'm sure that's what his plan was anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's BS that they barred him (and the stuff about the trafficking allegations seems like something out Brazil or something), but it seems Joe took the wrong approach to crossing the border and offered way too much info at the outset. As our cabbie mentioned after we passed the border, "Never tell them more than you have to. Canadian customs are notoriously huge [censored]. " Unless they were traveling with a bunch of recording equipment or something, there was no reason to complicate things by saying anything other than, "We're going to play a poker tournament." Anyway, sucks Joe...

[/ QUOTE ]

& U think american customs aren't huge (censored) ?

The David Benyamine 'story is the worse of all : http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/16326

here is the part i'm talking about: Land of Confusion
On March 20, 2004, the PartyPoker Million III cruise terminated its week of high-seas gambling, bad Hawaiian shirts, and 24-hour buffet in the port of San Diego.

At 5 a.m., passenger David Benyamine woke up to a surprise in his cabin; FBI agents demanded that he come with them.

Surprisingly, this wasn't the first time that this type of thing happened. "When I came to the U.S. before, the Immigration Service had given me a hard time because someone with the same name as mine was wanted," he said. It has been reported in the past that Benyamine was accused of being a terrorist. He said that isn't the case. "I never heard that this person was a wanted terrorist. It could have been someone who didn't pay his parking tickets, for all I know."

Whatever the case, Benyamine had $25,000 on him and was itching to get to Bellagio, not deal with bureaucratic red tape and a bunch of overzealous FBI agents. After waiting eight hours in the FBI office, Benyamine said they finally decided that he was not the bad Benyamine. "The three FBI agents wished me good luck in the World Series and I thought I was on my way," he said. "They asked me to sign some papers and said I would be free to go." However, after a few more hours, he hadn't moved. It turned out that, a supervisor concluded he was in America playing poker as a professional rather than as an amateur. "They said I needed a professional visa rather than a tourist visa. I never heard of such a thing, since everyone I knew came to play poker in America with a tourist visa. They said, 'I'm sorry, but we have to deport you to France.'"

It was Saturday night, and he was told he would be deported on Monday morning. He was sent to a detention facility. There was no bed, it was tough, they counted his money in front of the other prisoners, and he wasn't able to make a phone call.

When Monday morning came, he was ready to head to the airport. Instead, he was driven to a state jail in the middle of the California desert. Once he got to the jail, nobody would tell him what was going on. He was forced to stay there five days until they finally sent him home.

Once he finally landed back in France, it took him more than a year to get a visa. He secured a three-year professional visa, which allowed him to go back to the U.S.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're gonna browse the site, at least listen to the radio shows... in the first PokerRoad Radio show barry greenstein explains what happened

[/ QUOTE ]

i couldnt find it anywhere. why dont u post it
Old 10-29-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As our cabbie mentioned after we passed the border, "Never tell them more than you have to." Canadian customs are notoriously huge [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in a Canadian border town, this is very true.

Sound advice from the cabbie. Keep all responses to a bare minimum.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're gonna browse the site, at least listen to the radio shows... in the first PokerRoad Radio show barry greenstein explains what happened

[/ QUOTE ]

i couldnt find it anywhere. why dont u post it

[/ QUOTE ]

You suck at Internet.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i heard this, and was just wondering why sebok wouldn't just tell them he was going to play in the tournament, since i'm sure that's what his plan was anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's BS that they barred him (and the stuff about the trafficking allegations seems like something out Brazil or something), but it seems Joe took the wrong approach to crossing the border and offered way too much info at the outset. As our cabbie mentioned after we passed the border, "Never tell them more than you have to. Canadian customs are notoriously huge [censored]. " Unless they were traveling with a bunch of recording equipment or something, there was no reason to complicate things by saying anything other than, "We're going to play a poker tournament." Anyway, sucks Joe...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry, did I offend you by insulting your country's border personnel? I wasn't comparing Canadian customs to any other country's, not sure why you latched onto that one sentence when it had relatively little to do with my point.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The David Benyamine 'story is the worse of all : http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/16326

On March 20, 2004, the PartyPoker Million III cruise terminated its week of high-seas gambling, bad Hawaiian shirts, and 24-hour buffet in the port of San Diego.

At 5 a.m., passenger David Benyamine woke up to a surprise in his cabin; FBI agents demanded that he come with them.

Surprisingly, this wasn't the first time that this type of thing happened. "When I came to the U.S. before, the Immigration Service had given me a hard time because someone with the same name as mine was wanted," he said. It has been reported in the past that Benyamine was accused of being a terrorist. He said that isn't the case. "I never heard that this person was a wanted terrorist. It could have been someone who didn't pay his parking tickets, for all I know."

Whatever the case, Benyamine had $25,000 on him and was itching to get to Bellagio, not deal with bureaucratic red tape and a bunch of overzealous FBI agents. After waiting eight hours in the FBI office, Benyamine said they finally decided that he was not the bad Benyamine. "The three FBI agents wished me good luck in the World Series and I thought I was on my way," he said. "They asked me to sign some papers and said I would be free to go." However, after a few more hours, he hadn't moved. It turned out that, a supervisor concluded he was in America playing poker as a professional rather than as an amateur. "They said I needed a professional visa rather than a tourist visa. I never heard of such a thing, since everyone I knew came to play poker in America with a tourist visa. They said, 'I'm sorry, but we have to deport you to France.'"

It was Saturday night, and he was told he would be deported on Monday morning. He was sent to a detention facility. There was no bed, it was tough, they counted his money in front of the other prisoners, and he wasn't able to make a phone call.

When Monday morning came, he was ready to head to the airport. Instead, he was driven to a state jail in the middle of the California desert. Once he got to the jail, nobody would tell him what was going on. He was forced to stay there five days until they finally sent him home.

Once he finally landed back in France, it took him more than a year to get a visa. He secured a three-year professional visa, which allowed him to go back to the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a ridiculously horrible story. As American citizens,
I'm sure this is not what we expect from our hired servants.

I suppose if David had merely said, "oh no, I've changed my
mind. I don't think I will enter the WSOP." the FBI would
have let him go?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM

I swear every single time an American poster says anything about another country, it just rains fire on him from every Canadian, European, Australian, Dominican, Mexican, and Rwandan 2+2er who got offended.

Canadian customs officials in my experience ARE much worse than Americans, thought the Canadian customs guys I deal w/ are Quebecers, so they have problems of their own.

Anyway, relax Canada, Shane wasn't saying you guys have bad beer or anything.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 PM

arent these kind of officials complete arseholes in all countries?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/i]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that he has followed the rules, he can enjoy the life he sought in America. Good that he finally did the right thing.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]