Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 04:10 PM

Default What can I learn from this hand?

This is from the Mil. There are 1145 left, 900 get paid.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t1000/t2000
(Ante: t200)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t62600
UTG+1: t39125
MP1: t69355
MP2: t24675
Hero: t42025
CO: t32680
Button: t34150
SB: t19200
BB: t64201

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t5000</font>, 2 folds, SB calls t4000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t9800)</font>, BB calls t3000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t13800)</font>.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t16800, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets t16000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ??? </font>.

SB had been a bit flaky, limping and making several min raises and showing Ax or small pocket pairs. BB had gotten his chips on one hand where he had KK and beat two short stacks that had gone all in.

He was getting good odds to call with just about anything PF. I am behind pocket 3's, 5's, and 6's. Ahead of 7's and 8's. Of course behind TT+. TT is a possibility, but JJ+ I think he makes a re-raise. Can I fold 99 on this board?

Thanks,
Cro
Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: What can I learn from this hand?

why does he only have pocket pairs in his range?

i dont like a fold on this board.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 PM

looks like a donk bet from someone holding a 4.

johnny, I don't like a fold either with an overpair to the board. What's Hero's best line here? Float the flop and reevaluate the turn? Raise? If raise, how much?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:34 PM

i think reevaluating on the turn is only good if you know exactly what cards your opponent is holding or if you know that he'll shut down on the turn unless he hits.

what if a T,J,Q,K falls? auto-fold? b/c if that's the case, you should be raising here. i mean, if your read is right, and you think he'd R/R w/ JJ+, then a J,Q,K will only help an unpaired hand which you're beating on the flop and should charge to see a turn.

if another baby DOES fall and he bets, what then? give him credit for the set and then fold? idk i rarely fold overpairs at all, but ESP not to only mildly coordinated baby boards which could provide the villian with a bettable draw.

i raise here. a flat call would leave 21k in and 21k behind, so i just put the rest of it in there and hope AhXh doesnt get lucky.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:47 PM

you can learn to shove here about 85% of the time and be happy..

he probably has like A4 hearts or A6 sometihng along those lines
Old 11-19-2007, 04:49 PM

I didn't consider calling as that would be close to half my stack, I felt it was either push or fold. Based on the math if I push I have to win this hand about 46% of the time to break even. BB was not an idiot so I think his bet should be taken at face value saying, "I have a hand". He counted down his timer for 20 seconds before making the PF call, either he was taking a piss or he was very hesitant.

After the fact I don't think I'll win this hand often enough to justify a push, but how can I fold? Does anyone fold this hand?

I pushed and he turned over 63o [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I don't improve and am out 1145th or so. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am also curious what you think of his play? I would never call with 63o with one raiser and a caller despite the 4:1 odds. Am I missing out on some excellent opportunities?

Thanks,
Cro
Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 PM

You can learn that this player defedns his blind vigorously. He's a lag from the BB.