Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Your Boss Spits In Your Face Everyday

Or subjects you to some similar type of humiliation. You are fifty years old and it has just started recently. Only you and he know about it and we can assume it will stay that way. And the reason you are considering enduring this abuse is because he has also given you a three hundred dollar a week raise. And there is no way you could get that extra money elsewhere. But it is hard to look at yourself in the mirror. So you think the right and admirable thing to do is quit.

Except that with that extra money you can afford to keep you aging parents out of a dismal nursing home that will make their last years intolerable. You can instead afford home care. What is the admirable choice now?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Your Boss Spits In Your Face Everyday

Presuming also that you can't do something like videotape the abuse and sue the company, you take the abuse (unless you hate your parents, or you're a selfish [censored]).
It's been a long time since you had a proper job, hasn't it? Employment is humiliating by its very nature. If that's your best option and taking care of your parents is a higher priority than not being abused, who cares about admirable, you're just doing what you gotta do given your means, opportunities, and priorities.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 AM

I quit... no dilemma... LOL
Old 06-10-2007, 09:16 AM

I'd endure much humiliation in this type of scenario. The general idea is all too realistic

I'd also remember that revenge is a dish best served cold.

chez
Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 AM

in the extremely specific conditions outlined in the OP, i take the abuse
Old 06-10-2007, 10:40 AM

I guess I don't see how this is an interesting question. Obviously everybody has a price wrt humiliation. (I wouldn't do it for $30 a week. I would do it for $30k a week.)

I guess everybody has a different value for money and avoiding humiliation. Shocking. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or subjects you to some similar type of humiliation. You are fifty years old and it has just started recently. Only you and he know about it and we can assume it will stay that way. And the reason you are considering enduring this abuse is because he has also given you a three hundred dollar a week raise. And there is no way you could get that extra money elsewhere. But it is hard to look at yourself in the mirror. So you think the right and admirable thing to do is quit.

Except that with that extra money you can afford to keep you aging parents out of a dismal nursing home that will make their last years intolerable. You can instead afford home care. What is the admirable choice now?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Mother Courage" by Bertolt Brecht. Woman lives in a small hut when an "official" shows up and promptly moves in and she becomes his servant. She provides for him, does his laundry,sweeps and cleans, listens to his chatter and never a word spoken otherwise. This goes on for many years.

Then one day the "official" dies. The body is taken, tossed outside, and the old lady continues with her sweping.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Obviously kill him. Then you keep the job, and raise, and he stops spitting on you.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Find out what particular psychosis your boss has that he would ostensibly give you a 300 dollar a week raise in order to be able to humiliate you in private... and then decide on the optimal course of action.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Keep the job if you need the money. You might not need the money though, if you stop paying for the dismal nursing home and leave them to die on the streets like they deserve.