Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: NFL Midseason Rankings

[ QUOTE ]

The teams right below them - NO, CLE, BUF, WAS would probably be favored by 3 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wash is probably the best of those teams, and they're favored by 3 AT HOME this week, so no.

The public's perception of the Eagles right now is extremely low because their worst two games of the season have been nationally televised primetime games. Admittedly, they've looked pretty sloppy and out of synch in the majority of their games, but they've still been close in every one, aside from the most recent (Yes, Dallas totally outclassed them).

The team's perception also likely suffers because they had high expectations heading into the season and have failed to meet them. But the fact is, as badly as they've played, they're awfully close to being 5-3 anyway.

Also a nice job by OP to have Saints and Lions not sniffing the top 10, but Lions still shouldn't be in the upper half of the league. Good list overall.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are not that good without a good 3rd WR. Maybe things will turn around with Henry coming back and CJ's probable return. Their D is terrible though but that might be a function of their O being pretty mediocre so far. They really don't have great RB play nor do they have a good TE. They also lost a lineman in the offseason to Cleveland who seem to be on the up and up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their offense is far from mediocre. Yes, the defense is bad, but the offense is almost as good as the D is bad. The Bengals are slightly below average. 18th is pretty much perfect.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DVOA also has Philly rated too high.

I watch the games and can determine for myself what a team can and can't do. I think I could throw for a couple scores against Cincy right about now--the rest of that defense plays dead too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you watched every game that's been played in the NFL this year? I watch about as many games as anyone but there are still some teams that I've only seen play once or twice and there's no way my opinion of those teams is more accurate than what the stats say.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of Cinci's 4 games at home, they won two of them, and lost the other two to the Pats and Steelers (1st and 4th in DVOA).

Of their 4 games on the road, they've lost to 4 average teams, (two of which have notoriously difficult stadiums to play at).

Maybe the Bengals aren't good, but they're not as bad as some of you people looking at only their record are making them out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another way to look at is that they have 2 wins. One against a pretty underwhelming Baltimore team that had a chance to tie the game at the end but failed due to gross offensive incompetence. The other a win over the Jets, who they made look like a legitimate offensive team.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Second, would people please stop saying McNabb is above average? He is well below average. He is a rich man's Steve McNair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is way off.

First, just based on his stats this year he is pretty average for a starting QB.

Second, his receiving core sucks, like bottom 5.

Third, the Eagles pass blocking has been terrible this year, again, like bottom 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not way off at all. The receivers are definitely not bottom 5, Kevin Curtis has been pretty damn good and Brown is the same as always. He also throws to Westbrook every play, like he did last game (18 times). He basically only throws to his checkdowns, or slants to curtis.

More than stats he simply loses games. He lost the Dallas game on the first play of the game, as he as always does. He walks around slowly because he doesnt care and is oh so smooth, is sacked and fumbled. The Eagles pass blocking is fine, he just cant/doesnt move anymore. And another amazing season from Westbrook goes wasted. I hate Mcnabb.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 PM

Also, Cinci will probably be favored in 5 of its remaining 8 games. They could very conceivably go 7-9 the rest of the season.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 PM

1. Patriots
2. Colts
3. Steelers
4. Cowboys
5. Packers
6. Titans
7. Giants
8. Chargers
9. Lions
10. Saints
11. Jaguars
12. Eagles
13. Vikings
14. Redskins
15. Browns
16. Bucs
17. Seahawks
18. Chiefs
19. Ravens
20. Bills
21. Texans
22. Bears
23. Bengals
24. Cardinals
25. Broncos
26. Raiders
27. Jets
28. Falcons
29. 49ers
30. Panthers
31. Dolphins
32. Rams
Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another way to look at is that they have 2 wins. One against a pretty underwhelming Baltimore team that had a chance to tie the game at the end but failed due to gross offensive incompetence. The other a win over the Jets, who they made look like a legitimate offensive team.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

And they held the Pats to 34 points. They must have a great D!

I know their D sucks. I've said that. But I also said their offense is good enough for the most part to almost make up for it.

Put it this way. All you DVOA naysayers. If you were handed the list of teams' DVOAs, and you were asked to predict who won each game that the Bengals played given their schedule, you would have them at 2-6.

If they had switched their home and away games for the first 8 games of the season, they would be favored in 5 of the 8 games.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also a nice job by OP to have Saints and Lions not sniffing the top 10, but Lions still shouldn't be in the upper half of the league. Good list overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saints looks like a different team now than the first 4 weeks, and have destroyed the last two teams they played. Offense is clicking again, and the defense has been decent. Probably a top 3 team in the NFC, imo.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Second, would people please stop saying McNabb is above average? He is well below average. He is a rich man's Steve McNair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is way off.

First, just based on his stats this year he is pretty average for a starting QB.

Second, his receiving core sucks, like bottom 5.

Third, the Eagles pass blocking has been terrible this year, again, like bottom 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not way off at all. The receivers are definitely not bottom 5, Kevin Curtis has been pretty damn good and Brown is the same as always. He also throws to Westbrook every play, like he did last game (18 times). He basically only throws to his checkdowns, or slants to curtis.

More than stats he simply loses games. He lost the Dallas game on the first play of the game, as he as always does. He walks around slowly because he doesnt care and is oh so smooth, is sacked and fumbled. The Eagles pass blocking is fine, he just cant/doesnt move anymore. And another amazing season from Westbrook goes wasted. I hate Mcnabb.

[/ QUOTE ]

What 5 teams have worse receivers?

Assuming you are an Eagles fan, you are just spoiled if you hate McNabb. He isn't as good as he once was, but he is still in the top half of starting QBs.