Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

I could never be in a longterm relationship with any girl who believes in this god nonsense.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could never be in a longterm relationship with any girl who believes in this god nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo comments like this make you even more close-minded than the religous people you look down on and consider close-minded.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

imo comments like this make you even more close-minded than the religous people you look down on and consider close-minded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely. I'd be open to relationships with a girl of just about any religion provided that she is open-minded and accepts my religious views.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if the parent thinks this is a good way to teach morality etc to their kid who are you to disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm me, and I'm right. Parenting is one of those jobs that's easy to get without being qualified.

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise your child to be self-aware and open-minded I really don't see how teaching them about a deity who preaches love and forgiveness can really be such a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you raise your child to be self-aware and open-minded, why bother teaching them that a specific god is the right one?

The problem is that people who teach their children about one god tend to teach them that it is the most important and truest thing in the world, and subsequently teach their children to see divisions among us based on who believes and who doesn't, and to regard the others as inferior. Children don't naturally see those distinctions between people. They don't come into this world believing that worshiping god is more important than the life and reality that is the here and now. They come into the world loving and open-minded; their experiences are what close that.

Children don't need to be taught love and compassion; if anything, they should be teaching it to us.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely. I'd be open to relationships with a girl of just about any religion provided that she is open-minded and accepts my religious views.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Except Scientologists or those Kaballah people. Cuz thats just ghey. Well, maybe if they were [censored] smoking hot.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree; I think he's being up-front about what he wants in a relationship. From my perspective, I might date someone who was religious for a little while, but once things started toward the long-term, I am fairly certain that if she was serious in her beliefs, it would cause irreconcilable differences in what we wanted from life-- like, for example, that I would refuse to raise our children in her faith.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 PM

I dont understand why the kids have to accept the religious parents views. If they go to church at that young of an age they're probably going to end up being religious.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:45 PM

it may screw everything up 1 yr later like 2p2 poster the_dude.

it may cause the brides father not to show at the wedding, and a shtty marriage for 20 yrs followed by a messy divorce like my parents.

it may be fine for 60 yrs until one of yall is on their deathbed.

or it might not matter at all.

and everything in between.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:45 PM

Nath,

Good points, all around. That is all.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend and I disagree on pretty much everything religion-related, and we're also both very stubborn. This obviously wouldn't be a big deal if it were just a casual dating thing, but we've been together for a few years and there's talk of making the ultimate sacrifice. FWIW, I'm in the "religion is retarded" camp (agnostic/atheist), and she's Greek Orthodox. While she doesn't practice, she still believes in God and wants her children to be churchgoers. This seems like it could be trouble down the road.

Blind faith makes absolutely zero sense to me. It's not a matter of "not being open" (as has been suggested), it's just not how I'm wired. I need to see things for myself.

I'm sure this is a fairly common situation, but I'd still like to hear any insight anyone has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it from a Greek: Don't marry a greek woman.