Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Default what am i doing wrong?

so ive logged about 10k+ hands in 1$ 6 handed plo. my stats are 27/11/4.4 with less than 1PTBB winrate.

i feel like i play with excellent discipline and i never spew. when im playing a session it seems like everyone is a spewing donkey, but im not comming out ahead like i think i should. my graph is basically a huge upswing followed by a slow and harsh downslope.

do i just need to play more hands and keep up what im doing? or am i trying to bluff too many donks?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: what am i doing wrong?

the variance is just very high, you can win 20 buyins in like 1000 hands or break even for a long time.
that said, i dont believe everyone is spewing donkey because you should always find a few decent players, maybe you re playing a bit too nitty, but this is difficult to say without actual hands.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:11 PM

10k hands is a blip.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Omaha is a post-flop game. Your VPIP/PFR/AF doesn't make much of a difference if you make big mistakes in post-flop play. Pick up top 10 hands that have cost you most money and see if you made any major mistakes. That should give you a clue of how things are going.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the variance is just very high, you can win 20 buyins in like 1000 hands or break even for a long time.
that said, i dont believe everyone is spewing donkey because you should always find a few decent players, maybe you re playing a bit too nitty, but this is difficult to say without actual hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

i tighten up on my button when i have the entire table limping in (which is most often - most tables i have are players with vpip of 60+, only a few winning players). i feel like i will build the pot too much by raising and end up bluffing the wrong guy, or by limping try and play position vs the entire table. both situations i dont like.

i guess i just need to play more hands. i have saved some key hands where i went bust, i will post soon.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what am i doing wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i tighten up on my button when i have the entire table limping in

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-23-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what am i doing wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i tighten up on my button when i have the entire table limping in

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is in the instance i have a very marginal hand. if i have anything decent i pop it up.

im just wondering how low of a hand requirement does this take for the highest variance play, and most profitable play.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:54 PM

If you really want to know whether you're running bad or have some leaks to work on, download PokerEV. (Google search should find it.) It's a free program that looks at the hands you've played and tells you where you'd be if you were getting even luck. Be careful to actually look at the guidelines and look at the net run and equity adjusted winrate in the statistics page to determine how you're running. Comparing Sklansky bucks to actual winnings for example will give you a false idea of what luck you've been getting.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:20 AM

wow sweet program. im mad at myself i didnt figure out what program this was before hand.

thnx iggy
Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel like i play with excellent discipline and i never spew. when im playing a session it seems like everyone is a spewing donkey

[/ QUOTE ]
you are probably playing too tight or not being sufficiently self-critical, most good players at least sometimes think "god I spewed there so badly".