FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: call or fold?
Call 9 81.82%
Fold 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: yet another police brutality post

Cliff Notes

-Punk skateboarding teens think they can do whatever they want with impunity.

-Cop teaches teens that defying the law gets you chased down handcuffed and arrested.

-Stupid teens still think they did nothing wrong and are entitled to do whatever they want regardless of how their actions might affect others.

-Stupid Teens post video on YouTube to show the world how they were brutalized by "The Man", but are instead mocked.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes

-Cop teaches teens that defying the law gets you chased down handcuffed and arrested.

-Stupid teens still think they did nothing wrong and are entitled to do whatever they want regardless of how their actions might affect others.

-Stupid Teens post video on YouTube to show the world how they were brutalized by "The Man", but are instead mocked.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to skateboard, and i'm no gigantic fan of the police, but this is absolutely correct.

we knew what we were doing was wrong, and yah we'd argue, but in no way would we push this [censored]. that's just plain dumb. if a friend was getting arrested we would no way get that close to an officer, who will probably feel threatened, being outnumbered by kids with skatebaords that could be used as weapons.

kids are dumb.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to skateboard, and i'm no gigantic fan of the police, but this is absolutely correct.

we knew what we were doing was wrong, and yah we'd argue, but in no way would we push this [censored]. that's just plain dumb. if a friend was getting arrested we would no way get that close to an officer, who will probably feel threatened, being outnumbered by kids with skatebaords that could be used as weapons.

kids are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with all that
Old 06-27-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes

-Cops also think they can do whatever they want with impunity

-Two styles of douche, one 17 years old and one a former bouncer, collide in a giant doucheball that spirals out of control.

-Anti-cop people, susceptible only to their preconceptions, jump on the easy opportunity and throw around their really loose understandings of the law.

-Pro-cop people, susceptible only to their preconceptions, jump on the easy opportunity and throw around their really loose understandings of the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-27-2007, 07:18 PM

Autocratic,

LOL, excellent FYP. Best I have seen in awhile. Though I of course must assert my Anti-cop people side with a really loose understanding of the law and say that since they were 13, and not 17, this was ridiculous.

Brian

[EDIT]: And, if this turns into some really big thread, good thing Autocratic got the real Cliffs Notes in near the start of it.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes

-Cops also think they can do whatever they want with impunity

-Two styles of douche, one 17 years old and one a former bouncer, collide in a giant doucheball that spirals out of control.

-Anti-cop people, susceptible only to their preconceptions, jump on the easy opportunity and throw around their really loose understandings of the law.

-Pro-cop people, susceptible only to their preconceptions, jump on the easy opportunity and throw around their really loose understandings of the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nicely done.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM

imo the main thing on show is not 'police brutality', it's a display of how badly things can go if a police officer has no grasp on how to handle a situation properly.

The police officer was not necessarily overly rough or brutal, but just showing really really bad policing skills.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imo the main thing on show is not 'police brutality', it's a display of how badly things can go if a police officer has no grasp on how to handle a situation properly.

The police officer was not necessarily overly rough or brutal, but just showing really really bad policing skills.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite true too. A cop reacting to the situation by trying to arrest multiple kids is being stupid and looking stupid. Zero idea of working with the community. These are just kids, not hardened criminals or deviants. And their "crime" was minor, to say the least. Then he makes it worse by saying he's going to lay all these multiple charges on them. Come on already, Officer Vagina Sand.

Arresting one of them would have been enough to make the point. Telling them to get the hell out of here or they'd be arrested would probably have made the point with at least some of them. Basically, the cop made a mountain out of a molehill. Given the the opportunity to make the best or the worst out of the situation, he made the worse choice.

This has nothing to do with whether it was the law or not. Officers are still allowed to use discretion. So the law neither prompts nor excuses not being able to handle himself well. If this guy can't handle kids, I'd hate to see how he handles adults.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM

Cop was way way way out of line on this one and it isn't even close. I don't see how anyone can come to any other conclusion. When someone acts out against an abusive authority figure (who has near absolute power in this situation) you can hardly blame them.

I know we didn't get to see everything that lead up to that event, but if it was short of punching the cop in the face, it was totally uncalled for. and since the cop mentioned a lot of things, but never anything like that, i am pretty sure the kid didn't do anything crazy before the camera arrived.
In conclusion, here is a little illustrative ranking of the people/things i hate in life:
cop > OP > papercuts >ann coulter > rednecks