Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: lol kobe

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MVP's don't travel with the game on the line. Kobe blew that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, no MVP has ever missed a shot or turned the ball over at the end of a regular season game.

[/ QUOTE ]

MVP's don't play for the 6th seeded team in their conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

The award is called Most Valuable Player, not best player on the best team.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, no MVP has ever missed a shot or turned the ball over at the end of a regular season game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However much I agree with you that title doesn't agree with the award in the NBA that is awarded each year. Maybe in baseball that is what it means but think of the last three years and some of the players that have been mentioned. Dirk, Nash, Chauncey these are guys on solid teams with all star caliber players at every position. So I do believe you are in the wrong here. Kobe will never win MVP unless he averages like 40+ a game and takes them to the finals.

Chicago
Old 04-01-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However much I agree with you that title doesn't agree with the award in the NBA that is awarded each year. Maybe in baseball that is what it means but think of the last three years and some of the players that have been mentioned. Dirk, Nash, Chauncey these are guys on solid teams with all star caliber players at every position. So I do believe you are in the wrong here. Kobe will never win MVP unless he averages like 40+ a game and takes them to the finals.

Chicago

[/ QUOTE ]

so how many titles has nash won?

oh wait, that's right, zero.

just because a player has no titles (kobe has 3 btw (and yes he had shaq but w/e, jordan had pippen so you cant say jordan won a title by himself) doesn't mean he cant win MVP.

The only reason lakers is in the playoffs is because of kobe. True they'll probably get bounced first round in, but that really isnt kobe's fault. Having to put up 50 points every night so your "team" has to win a game is entirely unfair to kobe and makes him look bad when he doesnt put up a ridiculous # of points on the board.

BTW, Lakers made the right decision when it came to Kobe vs Shaq. But it's pointless to argue that since it's just like discussion Magic vs Kareem. Lakers could easily have 5-7 titles if Kobe/Shaq stayed together.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

just because a player has no titles (kobe has 3 btw (and yes he had shaq but w/e, jordan had pippen so you cant say jordan won a title by himself) doesn't mean he cant win MVP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm I'm not arguing Kobe's place in history. I'm just saying that the MVP award is not a direct reflection of who the most valuable player actually is. As I said in a previous post if it was based on what it should be Kobe would win every year. So we have to alter our skew of who we think is the MVP based on the way the award is handed out now. Right now it's a two player race between Nash and Dirk.
But you hit the head on the nail when you said that neither of these guys have titles and Kobe does.

Ok now your Jordan Pippen vs Kobe Shaq comparison is a bit off because Kobe didn't have Shaq. Shaq had Kobe he was the Pippen player in the role not the other way around. People will always look at Kobe and say yeah he won 3 titles but he was playin with Shaq. People never say yeah Jordan won 6 titles but he was playing with Pippen. Jordan was the leader just as Shaq was. I agree with your assessment that the Lakers made the right choice but you see its on Kobe now to be the leader now and to bring them to a title and so far he hasn't and Shaq has gone on and played a supporting role and won another championship.

Chicago
Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said in a previous post if it was based on what it should be Kobe would win every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

this year and last year are the only 2 you can make a case for Kobe being MVP, Shaq Duncan and KG were all more valuable in the other years of his career
Old 04-01-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lakers could easily have 5-7 titles if Kobe/Shaq stayed together.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could have easily won 2-4 titles in the last 2 years?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok now your Jordan Pippen vs Kobe Shaq comparison is a bit off because Kobe didn't have Shaq. Shaq had Kobe he was the Pippen player in the role not the other way around. People will always look at Kobe and say yeah he won 3 titles but he was playin with Shaq. People never say yeah Jordan won 6 titles but he was playing with Pippen. Jordan was the leader just as Shaq was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Former Bulls coach Phil Jackson, in an interview with Sports Illustrated in 1999 stated: “On the Bulls, Scottie was probably the player most liked by others. He mingled. He brought out the best in players and communicated the best. Leadership, real leadership is one of his strengths.

“Everybody says Michael [Jordan] was a great leader. He led by example, by rebuke, by harsh words. Scottie’s leadership was equally dominant, but [his was] a leadership of patting on the back, of support.”

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/pippen...re_031112.html
Old 04-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Jordan was the "go to" guy on offense, but Pippen was the "go to" guy on defense, as he would guard the other team's best player. I think Pippen/Jordan is closer than most people think.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm I'm not arguing Kobe's place in history. I'm just saying that the MVP award is not a direct reflection of who the most valuable player actually is. As I said in a previous post if it was based on what it should be Kobe would win every year. So we have to alter our skew of who we think is the MVP based on the way the award is handed out now. Right now it's a two player race between Nash and Dirk.
But you hit the head on the nail when you said that neither of these guys have titles and Kobe does.

Ok now your Jordan Pippen vs Kobe Shaq comparison is a bit off because Kobe didn't have Shaq. Shaq had Kobe he was the Pippen player in the role not the other way around. People will always look at Kobe and say yeah he won 3 titles but he was playin with Shaq. People never say yeah Jordan won 6 titles but he was playing with Pippen. Jordan was the leader just as Shaq was. I agree with your assessment that the Lakers made the right choice but you see its on Kobe now to be the leader now and to bring them to a title and so far he hasn't and Shaq has gone on and played a supporting role and won another championship.

Chicago

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Maybe comparing to Jordan/Pippen to Kobe/Shaq is a bit off, I just don't think Shaq or Kobe has any titles if they dont have each other.

And to the point of Shaq winning a championship post-kobe, Shaq wasnt the leader of the Heat. That wasn't Shaq's title. That was Dwayne Wade. Without Wade, Heat doesnt make it past the Pistons and quite possibly go out in the first round to the Bulls.

And I think Kobe has done a fine job with the lakers given the supporting cast he has. Kobe is the reason the Lakers are in the playoffs. I almost want to say that if Kobe had Yao Ming/Steve Nash; The lakers could reach the finals and most likely win a title.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lakers could easily have 5-7 titles if Kobe/Shaq stayed together.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could have easily won 2-4 titles in the last 2 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that they could have won 2-4 titles in the next 5-7 years.

Hell, They should have beaten the Pistons, but they didnt because of what was going on off the court.