Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 PM

Default religion and poker

Sorry if SMP atheists have scared off too many theists. I'd like to ask a question to people who genuinely believe in a personal god.

Do you believe that your relationship with god improves your poker results, either through good luck or through giving you better peace of mind and allowing you to make better decisions? If so, do you believe that theists have an edge over atheists in gambling situations?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: religion and poker

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if SMP atheists have scared off too many theists. I'd like to ask a question to people who genuinely believe in a personal god.

Do you believe that your relationship with god improves your poker results, either through good luck or through giving you better peace of mind and allowing you to make better decisions? If so, do you believe that theists have an edge over atheists in gambling situations?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont play much poker anymore but, when I do, my relationship with god helps me in the "peace of mind" way (not especially with regard to poker but as a general thing).

I dont think it's any edge since it's just how I do it - there's plenty of other ways to avoid getting emotional over short term setbacks to long term plans.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 PM

Theists definitely hit more than their share of flush draws. That's a fact. The peace of mind of course, follows from there.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:14 AM

I dont know if it's necessary to add (perhaps it is, given Lestat's reply) that I dont believe in intercessionary prayer, so I dont think believing in God means I'm going to be luckier.

I think my faith helps me remain calm and confident when I am unlucky and not get carried away about how brilliant I am when I'm lucky.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you believe that your relationship with god improves your poker results,

[/ QUOTE ]

God gave me (you) David Sklansky. How could that do anything else than improve ones results?

pokervintage
Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you believe that your relationship with god improves your poker results, either through good luck or through giving you better peace of mind and allowing you to make better decisions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange. I would expect atheists to be more at peace with themselves, the same way we see zen practitioners. They're not facing a final test for all the marbles. They aren't faced with having to figure out 'what is right' and then "what would god think is right' and justifying what seems wrong. Those type of issues.
I don't think there is any way to test it in a meaningful way. Interesting.

luckyme
Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Theists definitely hit more than their share of flush draws. That's a fact. The peace of mind of course, follows from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably chased more than their fair share too though
Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If so, do you believe that theists have an edge over atheists in gambling situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course theists do. Random events are much more apt to go in the theists favor, obv.

As a theist, this forum makes my head spin. I've never in my life seen so many who know so very very little about how most people believe in a god.

Sklansky seems to think being a theist should be an automatic 100 point deduction in the IQ of Presidential candidates, OP seems to believe that theists can't do simple statistics and comprehend game theory.

Wow.. I need to lay down.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
probably chased more than their fair share too though

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. LOL, I gotta take a nap after reading that.

You know, I've heard black people chase more than their fair share too.

If you're offended by that, please stop for about 15 seconds and think, then post your kneejerk reaction.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 AM

I will bet anything that a significant percentage of poker players believes that they can influence their luck by praying, wishing, etc. or that believe that they can in some way predict future cards. Obviously, this includes a lot of theists who pray to god and things like that.