Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Love the book. Now I want the hat.

Might sound like a strange question but that hat that Dan Harrington is wearing on the front cover of his Harrington On Hold ‘Em books – that’s the Boston Red Sox, right?
(I’m from the UK, and I don’t know much about UK sport, even, so I had to Google “baseball teams” to work out it was the Red Sox).

Questions:

Anyone know where I can get a hat exactly like Dan’s? I WANT ONE! HOH is quickly becoming my favourite 2+2 book of them all. It’s excellent. (And yes, I realise I’m not exactly the first person round here to think so.) Having a hat just like Dan would be kind of neat. Some will think it’s sad, and I say yes, it probably is, but I still want one.

The Sox official site doesn’t show the exact same hat.

Second question – the hat is green, which struck me as kind of odd for a team called the Red Sox. I assume that’s an Irish connection? Lots of Irish people in Boston?

I’m a noob. I see it as my duty to ask the daft questions that others fear to voice.

Many Thanks for your help.

And also, thanks to all those whose enthusiasm for HOH prompted me to get hold of a copy in the first place.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Love the book. Now I want the hat.

EBAY SALE OF HAT

The only one I could find on the internet... doesn't look like deliver outside of the States though, sorry man.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM

"Lots of Irish people in Boston?"

LOL! Yup, a few.

My wife is from a Boston neighbothood called Charlestown. She still calls it "That Irish ghetto." It's OK, though. Her maiden name is Dooley.

In that middle of the city there is a memorial to all those who died in the Great Irish Potato Famine. So far as I know, no one born in Boston actually died in the Great Irish Potato Famine. But there is a memorial none the less.

In Boston, St. Partick's Day is a city holiday. They actually close all city offices and all city workers get the day off with pay. And since Boston is the capital of the State of Massachusettes, state workers get the day off with pay as well.

I had a buddy from Manchester (England) come for a visit a few years ago. We went into Boston for a few drinks. After he saw the second sign that said "Up the Provos! Up the IRA!" he just about had a heart attack. But not as bad as...

We got to a bar and my buddy ordered. An old woman from another table overheard him and said, "Oh, I love your accent. Where are you from in Ireland?"

He almost choked on his Guinness. Later he told me, "You don't understand. Back home that's the sort of thing that buys you an ass kickin'. It doesn't matter that she's on old woman out with her granddaughter. Either I kick her ass or I never go out in public again!"
Old 07-31-2007, 04:52 PM

http://www.lids.com/pid/20090475

This is the hat.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you're not very familiar with baseball. Find a real hat. Perhaps one with an NY on it? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In that middle of the city there is a memorial to all those who died in the Great Irish Potato Famine

[/ QUOTE ] Lived here all my life and never knew about that, but since your poker advice is right on I'll have to learn more about it. March 17th is actually evacuation day and that is why the city is off. But it's just like us irish to use it as a reason to get drunk.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM

Mike,

That's not the same hat. It's a green Red Sox hat for sure but not the exact hat.

Senator,

NY baseball teams are the suxor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 PM

Nice try, close but no cigar.

I believe/pretty sure that the hat that Dan is wearing on the cover was given out as a promotional item. Teams have things like "Bat Day" and "Hat Day" where the first X number of spectators recieve a special "collectors item". That specific hat was given out a few years ago on a "Hat Day" promotion.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lived here all my life and never knew about that

[/ QUOTE ]

It's downtown in front of the Barnes & Noble, not too far from Washington Street.

There's three skinny people, father, wife & kid, all dressed in rags and begging. There there's three well dressed people, and the wife is looking over her sholder at the three starving Irish. It's actually more a memorial to all the wonderful, rich American Irish who gave money to the starving Irish overseas. You know, the same people who, years later, gave money to Shin Fain so they could fund the IRA and make bombs.

But the IRA doesn't bomb London anymore. They've disarmed. Now it's Al Quida blowing up bombs in London. I don't know about you, but if I were an IRA soldier that would piss me off. Al Quida has the whole world to blow up, but nobody blows up John Bull but the IRA.

Al Quida doesn't know it, but they do not want to piss off the IRA.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 PM

If you do manage to find that hat, please bend the bill for the love of God. I don't know how Dan can stand leaving it all straight like that, I instatilt seeing it