Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

[ QUOTE ]
It certainly wasn't a matter of bad construction or anything, it just didn't match my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. In order to live up to the hype (and price) of a cigar like that, it's got to have that "something extra". In the case of Opus X, that something extra is a very heavy nicotine punch and a VERY long finish... not exactly positive things on many peoples' list of priorities.

Personally, I don't mind the extra nic-buzz. In fact, sometimes I'll specifically look for a cigar like that. But, that extra long finish on it is something that I really don't get any pleasure from.

As far as the construction, draw, burn, and flavor-profile, I'd give it a solid "A" grade in all categories... just doesn't fit well enough into my pallette to be worth the $15-30/stick.

As far as the Hemingways, which ones are you partial to?

Since I'm in CO, and the winter has been extra cold, I've been sticking to the Maduro Short Stories for my "regular" smoke (which is probably only two per week now) since I can get back inside within a half hour or so. During the summer I'll reach for a Cameroon Signature. I just can't get enough of that perfecto shape... especially since it still burns and draws so perfectly.

Also, have you tried the Cusano 18 Paired Maduro yet? I'm loving the Double Connecticut, but haven't tried the PM as of yet. I'm not big on Cusano's Vintage Corojo, but I'd definitely be willing to try some more stuff from them.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't mind the extra nic-buzz. In fact, sometimes I'll specifically look for a cigar like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best example I can give of a cigar with this sort of "nic-buzz" is the Ashton Heritage Churchill. This is the only cigar that's ever made me vomit -- my head was swimming. Seven or 8 years ago I smoked some sort of special edition Fuente that was something like a 10" x 60 -- lasted about two and a half hours and I felt like I'd drank a six pack of beer when I was done.
[ QUOTE ]
But, that extra long finish on it is something that I really don't get any pleasure from.

[/ QUOTE ]
Totally agree.
[ QUOTE ]
As far as the Hemingways, which ones are you partial to?

Since I'm in CO, and the winter has been extra cold, I've been sticking to the Maduro Short Stories for my "regular" smoke (which is probably only two per week now) since I can get back inside within a half hour or so. During the summer I'll reach for a Cameroon Signature. I just can't get enough of that perfecto shape... especially since it still burns and draws so perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer the signature. I love the unique shape and the draw and burn are as good as on any cigar I've ever smoked. I think there's something to the fact that I broke into cigars smoking Curly Heads and 8-5-8s, so the Don Carlos line was like a luxury buy for me. For about five years I smoked them almost exclusively.
[ QUOTE ]
Also, have you tried the Cusano 18 Paired Maduro yet? I'm loving the Double Connecticut, but haven't tried the PM as of yet. I'm not big on Cusano's Vintage Corojo, but I'd definitely be willing to try some more stuff from them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't smoke a whole ton of maduros and I haven't tried this one. Actually, the 18 is the only Cusano I've ever had. It was a recommendation from a shop owner a couple years ago and I wasn't expecting much at all when I saw the price tag. Needless to say, I was very, very pleasantly surprised. If you told me I could only pick one cigar to smoke every day for the rest of my life, it would probably be this one; I can enjoy it at 9am on a Sunday with coffee, the newspaper, and an empty stomach or at midnight after a big steak dinner (though that's when I'd prefer a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 or a La Flor Dominicana chisel tip). I think there's a lot to be said for a smoke that's this smooth and versatile. There aren't a whole lot of cigars that I'd enjoy at any hour of the day.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best example I can give of a cigar with this sort of "nic-buzz" is the Ashton Heritage Churchill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea if it's useful to list these kinds of cigars, but the La Flor Dominicana Chisel did it to me.

-McGee
Old 02-07-2007, 07:54 PM

Yeah, I've had the same reaction to that cigar when I've smoked it on anything less than a completely full stomach.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:39 PM

Anyone ever had an Ashton Virgin Sun Grown (VSG)? It's my favorite legal cigar next to padron 1926.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever had an Ashton Virgin Sun Grown (VSG)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got around to smoking one of these a couple weeks ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it (I think I had the Sorcerer). My only complaint was that the finish was a little long for my taste, if that makes sense.

-McGee
Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 PM

A question i had that a canadian friend of mine wasn't able to answer:

Are you able to buy genuine cuban cigars in Canada?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 PM

Yes, but there are fakes up there too.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Why is that? I thought Canada wasn't affected by the embargo?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is that? I thought Canada wasn't affected by the embargo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Has little to do with the embargo, cuban cigars are very simple to fake, and there is a ton of money to be made selling fugazis to people who dont know the diff from an original.