Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 AM

Default what are some general pf 3betting guidelines?

I know that against someone with a low PFR you don't want to 3bet them often beacuse they are usually raising premium hands.

Assuming you have been playing a tight game: against LAG? If someone pfr loose then do you 3bet them often to get them to fold? Or do you 3bet them with only premium hands because they are likely to call? I guess it comes to the question of do LAGs call or fold to 3bets more often since they open so loose?

How would a TAG respond?

i know probably basic poker questions and i'll get flamed but I seem to be running into some issues surrounding this area
Old 06-28-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: what are some general pf 3betting guidelines?

i think if you re write this post so people can understand what your asking better you will get more responses...
Old 06-28-2007, 03:56 AM

Don't know exactly what answer you are looking for, but if i got you right:

Depends on the situation. But in general it's a little bit of both when you threebet. You'd like to have a premium hand when you threebet also you should be glad to just take it down.
There will be good squeeze opertunitys when e.g donk call and a good player isolate. You can in this spot 3bet quite light with just the intention to just take it down.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:28 AM

against loose raiser (>20 pfr) i 3bet alot, even though im pretty lag too. they just cant call with most holdings and its really tough to 4bet air. only good lags can adjust to getting constantly 3bet
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM

ok heres the question rephrased: when you 3bet pf, what is your intent against a tight raiser or a loose raiser and what do you make these raises with?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it comes to the question of do LAGs call or fold to 3bets more often since they open so loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though LAGs may raise with weaker hands I would say that there is no need to ask the question of whether they also call a 3bet lighter than normal. The important thing is that your hand will be better than theirs more often so it would make sense to 3bet them when you have weaker cards that you normally would.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:35 PM

General guidelines?

Don't turn good hands into bluffs by 3betting. 3bet garbage, and 3bet huge hands... If the cutoff opens and you're on the button with ATo, 3betting is almost always horrible unless you're ok getting it all in with AT. If you have 75s on the button to a cutoff open, 3betting is good because that hand really doesn't have enough value to cold call.

The best person to 3bet is the loose opener who always folds to 3bets. (obv) The worst person to 3bet is the tight opener who never folds to 3bets.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:44 PM

an important thing to think about when 3betting is how often villain will cold call your raise. players w/ stats like 5/30 are probably the worst candidates to be 3bet. Whereas, players that are like 20/22 tend to be the best.

Basically, what you need to be looking for is how often they are calling 3bets in position and out of position. Players whose VPIP and PFR are very close together tend to hardly ever call because they prefer so much to be the aggressor in the hand, making them the best candidates to be 3bet. Players whose VPIP and PFR are very spread apart mean that they are going to call much more often w/ speculative hands, so you must be 3betting them w/ stronger than average hands in general.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Always remember that the hand doesn't end at the flop. Just because they called your three bet preflop doesn't mean you give up when you miss the flop. A large part of the move that makes three betting +EV is the donks who feel they are defending by calling pre and then folding to a cont bet.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
General guidelines?

Don't turn good hands into bluffs by 3betting. 3bet garbage, and 3bet huge hands... If the cutoff opens and you're on the button with ATo, 3betting is almost always horrible unless you're ok getting it all in with AT. If you have 75s on the button to a cutoff open, 3betting is good because that hand really doesn't have enough value to cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...does everyone agree w/ this?? i think i play it pretty much vice versa. i am more often calling with hands like 22,33,44,56,57,67 and i am 3bettin hands like 88,99,tt, k9s, ato, qjo, ajo.