Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Help me with my thought process ...

This hand isn't sitting well with me and I was hoping to get some feedback on how I played it.

The table was loose passive ...

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

I almost didn't raise. I had pocket 9's the previous hand in UTG+3 that I open-raised with PF and took down the pot uncontested. I was thinking that this raise twice in a row could definitely get me head's-up or three-way preflop for three bets if a tricky player made a move. Thus, I was strongly considering limping to try to play a big pot for set value. I know that my thinking could be seriously flawed here.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

I'm not afraid of the 9 and I wanted to lead out to avoid giving club draws a free card. I think this one is standard.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>,

Here's where it gets tough. The King scares me but there is still a solid chance that I'm still ahead on a draw heavy board. I lead out because the pot is getting big and I want to see what I can do about winning it now.

Thanks for taking a look.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Help me with my thought process ...

[ QUOTE ]
I almost didn't raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you? 88 isn't that great; I'd limp.

Now you're left trying to c-bet every street hoping you can fold five players. That ain't fun.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:31 PM

I'd def. raise PF. You won't be getting a big pot with passive players postflop anyway.

As far as the turn goes, this really hinges on these players behind you. Do they all suck? With what types of hands do these players cold call? Do they just call flops with overs, etc?

You're taking this pot on the turn almost never after all four of them call the flop. However, that doesn't mean don't bet the turn. All in all, with what you've given me here, I believe I'd play this the same up to this point.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I almost didn't raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're left trying to c-bet every street hoping you can fold five players. That ain't fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeegah,

88 is a very good hand...OP played it like a champ
Old 06-28-2006, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I almost didn't raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If raising can realistically steal the blinds you can raise it from UTG. Same for 77 if the game is weak enough.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If raising can realistically steal the blinds you can raise it from UTG. Same for 77 if the game is weak enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you say "Value"?