Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Buying call options

Can someone briefly discuss how to buy call options. What are the best (cheap) brokerages that allow you to buy options. What are the advantages to buying options vs. common stock. How can you see what options are available for a particular company (using yahoo!finance for example). If the price of an option is $0.35, is that the cost per share that you will buy, or is that the total cost of the option of buying 100 shares? I am a novice investor (with just ~$2k in my cheap online brokerage account), young, and beginning to get more curious about various derivatives. Also I obviously don't really care at this point about losing or making money in the market- at this point I'm just trying to familiarize myself so that in the future I can.....make.....millions.....(ha).
Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Buying call options

Just had a quick lecture of options today(correct me if im wrong anyone)...
-Calls are done on 100 share basis. Prices are per share.
-To simplify say you have call prem. of $5 per share & strike price of $50. Your option will have an expiration date...longer timeframe = ^ volatility = ^ option price.
-Your stock is sitting @ $45. At prices of $50 and above you will exercise the call. (In the money)
-Calls are better for volatile, risky stocks because you can limit downside risk to price of the calls and walk away if stock doesn't get "in the money." If stock plummits all you lose is what you paid for the options.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 AM

www.cboe.com
Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 AM

1 word: leverage
Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-To simplify say you have call prem. of $5 per share & strike price of $50.
-Your stock is sitting @ $45. At prices of $50 and above you will exercise the call. (In the money)

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you want to exercise at $5<u>5</u> and above, because of the $5 cost of the option?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-To simplify say you have call prem. of $5 per share &amp; strike price of $50.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you want to exercise at $5<u>5</u> and above, because of the $5 cost of the option?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would still exercise it because you would rather break even then lose the cost of the option.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-To simplify say you have call prem. of $5 per share &amp; strike price of $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would still exercise it because you would rather break even then lose the cost of the option.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't break even when you exercise your option when the stock is at $50. If the strike price is $50 and the option cost you $5 then buying the stock at $50 means you payed $55 for $50 of equity. You break even when the stock hits $55 because then you pay the strike price of $50 for it plus you've already payed $5 for the contract.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone briefly discuss how to buy call options. What are the best (cheap) brokerages that allow you to buy options. What are the advantages to buying options vs. common stock. How can you see what options are available for a particular company (using yahoo!finance for example). If the price of an option is $0.35, is that the cost per share that you will buy, or is that the total cost of the option of buying 100 shares? I am a novice investor (with just ~$2k in my cheap online brokerage account), young, and beginning to get more curious about various derivatives. Also I obviously don't really care at this point about losing or making money in the market- at this point I'm just trying to familiarize myself so that in the future I can.....make.....millions.....(ha).

[/ QUOTE ]

My option broker is Scottrade they charge $7 + $1.25/per contract. There are cheaper brokers out there, but I feel that Scottrade gives me the best fills for the cheapest price. The advantage of buying options over common stock is that they provide more leverage, and limit your downside exposure to only the amount of the premium paid for the option. I don’t think Yahoo! provides option chain information, but you can use this site to look up option chain information, and they also provide you with all the greeks. The price listed is on a per share basis so as most contracts are for 100 shares just multiply 0.35 * 100 and you get $35.00 which is what you would pay for that option. Being a novice investor is alright everyone has to start someplace, but I would really suggest you stick to equities for at least a few years before getting into option derivatives. Most brokerages would probably only certify you for covered call writing to begin with anyway if you haven’t had much experience investing so I would start with that and then work your way up to actually trading calls/puts.