Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 09:55 PM

Default Did I mess this up or play it well?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 ($60.75)
Hero ($56.55)
Button ($8.40)
SB ($44)
BB ($44.20)
UTG ($45.90)
UTG+1 ($99.40)
MP1 ($50.05)
MP2 ($12.90)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.5</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, Hero calls $1, SB folds.

Flop: ($6.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $6.2</font>, Hero calls $6.20, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($18.90) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($18.90) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $18</font>, Hero calls $18.

Final Pot: $54.90

No reads. Villain just sat down.I figured I'd use my position and see what happens on the turn. The check from him on the turn could mean T9, or air. I checked behind to see what he does on the river and I thought a check was better than betting because I was either really ahead or really behind. The psb on the river yelled bluff to me. Why would the nuts make it so expensive for me to call when I checked on the turn? What do you guys think?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Did I mess this up or play it well?

While I would often take the line you did with middle set that became an underfull to induce a bluff from a busted draw trying to get another draw to fold by an aggressive player, the answer to your question of why the nuts would bet the river like that should be obvious. Either you have a busted draw and aren't putting another dime in, or you have a worse full and are probably calling a psb if you are calling a smaller one. I myself in his position would only bet around 1/2 the pot with the nuts because I would do the same with a busted draw likely facing just another busted draw. But other players will make psb bet in both situations.

So it really depends on how passive or aggressive that player is. The more passive he is then the more I would lean to making a 1/2 pot bet on the turn to see where I stood. If you do that and get called you usually are going to be beat and should give it up. So although the line you took could be correct in some situations, it will often result in your having to call a psb to get the same information as 1/2 could have gotten, with the disadvantage that you aren't trying to induce a bluff on the river.

The main factor here though is whether he thinks you are capable of bluffing the turn or river with a draw. If he doesn't think that, then he is going to put in a bet on one street or the other with the nuts and again it might as well be the full pot.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:39 AM

I raise the flop, it's a pretty drawy board so you want to charge people. There's 2 people to act behind you so you don't want to just call the flop and give them better odds for long shot draws.
If you raise the flop then checking behind on the turn is fine as if Villain is on a draw you want him to hit on the river to pay you off, if you bet the turn and get check-raised then you have a very tough decision. Check-calling the river is standard.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:15 AM

This board is about as draw heavy as they come. You have middle set and no redraws. With two players to act behind you must raise on the flop, else you'll be pricing in bare flush draws and JQxx type hands.

I think you played it ok on turn and river.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 AM

That's fine. He wont call a raise if you beat him and he will reraise if he beats you.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 AM

Are you saying fine on the flop? How do you feel about what others are saying about the two behind me waiting to act?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying fine on the flop? How do you feel about what others are saying about the two behind me waiting to act?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop is fine. If you get lots of money in here you are at best 50:50 but prob behind top set or a big wrap/flush draw.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Fine on every street.