Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Default NL 100: QQ facing preflop raise, 3 bet or flat call?

villain is a regular tag with 14/6/1.8 stats, image is taggish today but sometimes im lag so my stats are like 14-15/10ish/3.5ish to the villain with my attempt to steal being like 28-30, with that said I still cant tell how light hes repopping me and I dont know whether to flat call or 3 bet to try and take it down preflop? opinions

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($97.25)
SB ($115.75)
BB ($165.50)
UTG ($60.70)
UTG+1 ($20.20)
MP1 ($59.35)
MP2 ($100)
Hero ($108.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $13.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: NL 100: QQ facing preflop raise, 3 bet or flat call?

I three bet here, he could be easily making this play with a wide range like 88+, AJ+. Every A or K on the flop will leave you pretty much helpless as I guess he's CBing such a flop most of the times.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:34 PM

I call. I dont want him to 4bet AK and KK+. Also I don't want to loose his JJ-, AT+ and air.
You can play for set value and you can play it as an overpair with position.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:00 PM

You re-raising here would be a 4-bet, not a 3-bet...he already 3-bet you.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:04 PM

I think you have to balance your actions. Sometimes you should just flat call and sometimes you should reraise preflop. You don't want to have a set range that you 4-bet with, such as only A,A and K,K, so 4-betting Q's A,K and other hands is something you should do every now and then to keep your opponents guessing, especially if you're a reg.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to balance your actions. Sometimes you should just flat call and sometimes you should reraise preflop. You don't want to have a set range that you 4-bet with, such as only A,A and K,K, so 4-betting Q's A,K and other hands is something you should do every now and then to keep your opponents guessing, especially if you're a reg.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 PM

These seem to be the courses of action -

A) Just call, then on flop he will almost certainly CB. So pot will be about 30 bucks on flop, lets say he bets 20. Do you shove if its undercards? What do you do if there is an A and/or K on flop? What if flop is like JT7?

B) 4 bet to 36. I assume this would commit you to the hand if he shoves or flats, then shoves flop?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:57 PM

Assuming this is over a decent sample size, this guy isn't a TAG, he is a nit. But he isn't a supernit where calling for mostly set value (being a touch deep, w/position) is the only option. Flip a coin and if it lands tails make it 35 or 40 and fold to a shove. If the coin lands heads, just call.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:54 PM

Call and see a flop.

Play cautiously, but not like a complete whimp. But reraising preflop vs this particular villain is probably a bad idea. I think you should put him on QQ-AA/AK. Expect a cb on any flop.

The question on a low flop will be whether he 2nd barrels with missed AK or not.

So, on a flop with an A or K and a big cb, then fold is probably good. On a flop with an A or K and he checks, then check behind to avoid a c/r.

On an all low card flop, call his cb and make a judgement call on the turn if he fires a second barrel. If he rarely 2nd barrels light, then fold there. If he checks the turn after you float his cb, then consider checking behind and calling a river bet. Checking the turn avoids the CRAI that might be coming from KK/AA, and might induce a bluff from a missed AK on a non A or K river.

Another, more aggressive line on an all low card flop would be to raise his cb and give up if he doesn't go away. Stacks are such that you may have to min-raise to avoid being completely pot-committed. But that might give you more reliable information vs some villains than a float planning to fold to a big second barrel. For example, some villains will 2nd barrel AK when they miss, but fold when their cb is min-raised with missed AK. Some read on how he plays the turn with missed overcards would be good.

If you flop a set, then take whatever line you think has the most chance of getting all the money in vs this player and his likely range of KK-AA/AK.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 PM

4-betting blows.