Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Eugenics

[ QUOTE ]
you lack imagination if you believe this. the underclass in a society that promotes eugenics would likely be looked upon the way an untouchable is in a caste system. you'd lead the worst kind of life...assuming that they wouldnt just kill you when it became apparent at an early age that you were of lower intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. Hell, even in today's society that isn't true.

[ QUOTE ]
and ability is relative (almost entirely so.) the things you could accomplish with a 150+ IQ in this society far outnumber what you could do in a world where 150+ was below average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, [censored]. I'd be able to do more in such a society, because they'd have better training and education programs. The idea that I would forget how to take derivatives if everyone else became smart - that's absurd.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The idea that I would forget how to take derivatives if everyone else became smart - that's absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

way to dive head first through that strawman. im done in this thread. GO EUGENICS!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The idea that I would forget how to take derivatives if everyone else became smart - that's absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

way to dive head first through that strawman. im done in this thread. GO EUGENICS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you missed his point. Everyone would be better off. We have castes right now, we would probably have castes in this future scenario as well, but the lowest caste would be far better off than the lowest caste now.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 PM

vhawk - You're still way too knee jerk and presumptuous about what you think would be "better" for everyone. You seriously don't seem to understand the IMPLICATIONS of this kind of thing, go look that word up.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:37 PM

I don't think I can continue in this thread, opinion seems to be divided between the people who want regulation of the species and those who are paranoid about the implications of such a regigm.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vhawk - You're still way too knee jerk and presumptuous about what you think would be "better" for everyone. You seriously don't seem to understand the IMPLICATIONS of this kind of thing, go look that word up.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, wtf are you talking about? My entire plan for eugenics centers around letting people choose what they want for themselves, and you tell me that I'm being paternalistic?

Whereas your plan seems to be denying eugenics to everyone because you know whats best for them and the implications are too dangerous.

Bear in mind my earlier clarified personal usage of eugenics.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I can continue in this thread, opinion seems to be divided between the people who want regulation of the species and those who are paranoid about the implications of such a regigm.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying to outlaw it?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Yeh sorry, I wasn't completely up on what you were saying. I was just focused on your use of the word "better" in your last post, and the points Dragon was making.

You're still implying some kind of improvement will take place, when it will only create a shift in who is considered inferior. It will create a more discerning elitism. You seem to think all the new super humans will want to help everyone and carry everyone into paradise. Your argument rests on whether this will take place.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeh sorry, I wasn't completely up on what you were saying. I was just focused on your use of the word "better" in your last post, and the points Dragon was making.

You're still implying some kind of improvement will take place, when it will only create a shift in who is considered inferior. It will create a more discerning elitism. You seem to think all the new super humans will want to help everyone and carry everyone into paradise. Your argument rests on whether this will take place.

[/ QUOTE ]

the main thing is assuming eugenics really will work, when all the historical data suggests otherwise.

now genetic engineering, that's can definitely "work" with all its accompanying problems/consequences.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My entire plan for eugenics centers around letting people choose what they want for themselves

[/ QUOTE ]

you might want to look up the definition of the word eugenics. because what you propose is not even close. by definition, it involves entire populations and is certainly not voluntary.

your scenario rocks though. hope it happens someday.