Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Does anyone use/need a (music) cassette deck these days?

[ QUOTE ]

You threw out your VCR? Unless you have Tivo or a DVDR isn't a VCR sort of useful; at least sometimes?

Does anyone ever tape a TV show these days?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually dont have TV anymore, but I threw out my VCR long ago when I still did. I never had Tivo either. I just never felt the need to record anything. If I missed something I wanted to watch I could just find it on the internet.

[ QUOTE ]

My parents bought a Toyota Avalon a couple years ago with standard audio like what you describe above. I think models like this appeal to the older boomers who still have a lot of their music on tape. Me, I have a lot of music on tape but I managed to get most of it transferred to music files.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was a Toyota 4runner, so maybe its just a Toyota thing, dunno. I still think its retarded tho. Even most baby boomers dont have tapes anymore. CDs have been out for like 20+ years or something, most people replaced their tapes loooong ago. And with CD burners being standard on every computer for like the last 5+ years, I doubt anyone makes mix tapes anymore.

Seriously, I cant figure out for the life of me why they are still in brand new vehicles. Hell you couldnt even buy a freaking album on cassette tape anymore I bet, prolly been like that for years too. I wouldnt even be surprised if you most places even carried cassette tapes in general anymore
Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 PM

Rick,

"Does anyone ever tape a TV show these days?"

No. You should buy the cheapest DVR you can find and even if you don't want to pay for the guide service, you can use it to manually record stuff like a VCR. So, so, so much better. Basically just using a hard drive to record instead of tape. I bet you can get older ones now for super cheap.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The model I have is the Sony TC-KE500S and it’s hardly been used. It seems to be playing well although I haven't tested the record function.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote the OP because I don't want to duplicate the mistake I made when I tossed out two heavy boxes of classic vinyl LPs in great condition thinking nobody wants or uses these anymore (perhaps a story for another post).

Anyway the above cassette deck worked fine all afternoon yesterday but I still haven't tested the record function. That deck with manual along with about 100 or more well recorded tapes (I always used the better cassette tapes) is available for free to any 2+2er who wants them and can meet me sometimes in an LA card club parking lot so I don't have to pack and ship it.

Otherwise it goes to Salvation Army and now I wonder if they will even accept it.

Reply below or PM me if you are interested. First serious reply wins.

~ Rick
Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rick,

"Does anyone ever tape a TV show these days?"

No. You should buy the cheapest DVR you can find and even if you don't want to pay for the guide service, you can use it to manually record stuff like a VCR. So, so, so much better. Basically just using a hard drive to record instead of tape. I bet you can get older ones now for super cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be out of it or some sort of clueless dinosaur but a DVR still may not work for me. You see my wife (we are separated but friendly) was taping shows for me (e.g. Sopranos and High Stakes Poker) as recently as last year. She has cable and a VCR but no DVD or Tivo/DVDR. I had a VCR/DVD combo and no cable.

With Netflix I no longer need her to tape shows except perhaps for High Stakes Poker on Monday nights. I won't get cable; I simply don't watch enough TV.

~ Rick
Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Ignore the above semi-duplicated post; it somehow got up there before I completed it and now I can't delete it.

~ Rick
Old 03-07-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell you couldnt even buy a freaking album on cassette tape anymore I bet, prolly been like that for years too. I wouldnt even be surprised if you most places even carried cassette tapes in general anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

I was walking through some sort of "indie" music store a couple of weeks ago. They definitely had vinyl and may have had cassettes. They didn't have the Lucinda Williams and Mary Gauthier CDs I wanted.

I threw out my two boxes of perfect condition classic LPs when a couple of local vinyl shops went out of business (which made me mistakenly conclude the vinyl format was no longer used) and I read/heard that my mint condition "It's a Beautiful Day" vinyl LP no longer was worth much. Yet someone on Amazon is asking $30 bucks for it right now! I wonder if he would get his price? I wonder if he got his copy of "It's a Beautiful Day" from my dumpster?

~ Rick
Old 03-07-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real sick divide on 2+2 is those of us who actually owned and used eight track tapes!

I'd bet it amounts to less than 1% of registered users.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to listen to my parent's 8 tracks all the time. Not sure I ever bought an 8-track tape for myself. Also my first car came with an 8-track player. It was a '76 Nova and I got it for HS graduation in '84. First thing I did was change the stereo.

As for the OP, if I had a cassette player in my car I'd only use it for an Ipod adaptor. My home stereo cassette deck is in my closet. Last time I used it, I dug it out and hooked it up to my computer to convert a cassette based audio book to MP3.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the real sick divide on 2+2 is those of us who actually owned and used eight track tapes!

I'd bet it amounts to less than 1% of registered users.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to listen to my parent's 8 tracks all the time. Not sure I ever bought an 8-track tape for myself. Also my first car came with an 8-track player. It was a '76 Nova and I got it for HS graduation in '84. First thing I did was change the stereo.

[/ QUOTE ]

My frist vehicle had one to. I had a copy of "Crimson in clover" or whatever that song is called and I jammed to that like a million times. I havent heard that song in forever, I actually think im going to go DL it right now, heh.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My home stereo cassette deck is in my closet. Last time I used it, I dug it out and hooked it up to my computer to convert a cassette based audio book to MP3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turns out I do have some music on cassette (perhaps twenty tapes) that is otherwise unavailable or costly to replace. I might look into doing this if mostly just involves getting a couple cables. I do wonder how to break up the tracks although I would assume there's some freeware out there that would do this.

Unless I hear from a deserving* 2+2er I think the cassette deck will go to the Salvation Army after I make those conversions. Damn, I must have been one of the last people on Earth to spend $250 or more on a cassette deck in the last eight years.

~ Rick

* Being "deserving" isn't required. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 PM

nothing's unavailable when you're looking in the right spot. and it wasn't hard to tell the cassettes will not hold any value over time as a medium, unlike vinyl. some people still like the sound of vinyl, there's no such people for tape. not really searchable either. its bad, its gone. i'm just glad i dont have to shell out an unnecessary amt of funds > $100 for a car stereo w/ input jacks for the ipod.