Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I think you place too much emphasis in the book on achieving a good SPR and suggest making strange moves such as (p225) limping/min-raising with KK. If you limp with KK UTG 8 handed you could find yourself in a multi-way pot OOP with a big pocket pair which is surely a much worse position to be in than having an unfavourable SPR?! I'd think it would be much better to (for example) raise making the pot HU and then play it passively to encourage your aggressive opponent to steal. I think this advice is especially bad since beginner/intermediate players reading the book may well find it hard to fold their KK in a multiway pot OOP when they flop an overpair and are beaten, I understand that you're not saying always limp KK rather than raise if it will give an unfavourable SPR but i just think it is a bad example to give people.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously won't be limping much if there is a low chance of a raise behind. Furthermore, you wouldn't recommend making a mistake early in the hand to avoid making a mistake later. Learn to avoid both mistakes and play good poker.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You, like many people, just missed the point.

I don't know why I have so much patience, but let's try again.

Let's say you are on the turn, have the nut flush draw, and your opponent moves all-in for his last $100. You are heads up and you have him covered. There was $100 in the pot before his play. You are sure he has you beat. Do you call?

Let's assume you half way know what you are doing, and decide to fold. This means that pot odds are worthless and any book that explains pot odds is a waste of time, because you can't call here, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am quite sure I did not miss the point of the book, and I am not sure what your example has to do with my post or the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not surprised that you don't understand what my example has to do with the book. It does help explain your depth of thought though. If you think of SPR in a vacuum and superficially, you will get little out of it.

The point of my example was this. No, you don't call. Does this imply that flush draws are bad? No. Does this imply that pot odds are worthless? I mean, after all, you had to fold your nice draw, so pot odds must be a waste of time, right?

I'm sorry that you could not achieve the pot odds you desired in this hand. However, your knowledge of pot odds allowed you to make the right play. This might seem like a no brainer to you, but to someone learning the game, it would be a revelation.

No try thinking about SPR like that.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:27 PM

My point about PNL is that almost everything in it is a no brainer to anyone who knows how to play, so it should be called something like "Intro to" or "Fundamentals of," not "Professional." Other point is 90% of their examples, and the basis of the strategy for PSR, does not apply to online 6-max gmes, which is what the majority of people on this forum play. Unless you are a shortstacker. Then the book is gold. But that's not poker.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:12 AM

i just scanned the book. what stakes do you guys play, i am guessing this book will be helpful for players at about $2/$4 NLHE and below, probably most for $1/$2 players. you guys really have to wait for my book it will blow you away.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point about PNL is that almost everything in it is a no brainer to anyone who knows how to play, so it should be called something like "Intro to" or "Fundamentals of," not "Professional."

[/ QUOTE ]

as i said in the OP, i agree with geragorio for PNL1. the subtitle "Learn to think and play like the pros" got left off, and the title generates confusion as to who it's for.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just scanned the book. what stakes do you guys play, i am guessing this book will be helpful for players at about $2/$4 NLHE and below, probably most for $1/$2 players. you guys really have to wait for my book it will blow you away.

[/ QUOTE ]

theBruiser500 returns from hiding....
Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 PM

looked like 2+2 was getting boring for you guys, figured i should help spice things up a bit
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My point about PNL is that almost everything in it is a no brainer to anyone who knows how to play, so it should be called something like "Intro to" or "Fundamentals of," not "Professional."

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, professionals "know how to play".

[/ QUOTE ] Other point is 90% of their examples, and the basis of the strategy for PSR, does not apply to online 6-max gmes, which is what the majority of people on this forum play. Unless you are a shortstacker. Then the book is gold. But that's not poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The theory applies to all games, all levels, any number of players, any size stacks. This is the simple concept that you don't seem to be able to grasp.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 PM

Cover image for volume 2?

Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cover image for volume 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not-So-Professional Magoo Fest Volume 2: Nut-Kicking.