Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Opponent ->Doesn\'t Care If Wins - Just Wants to Make Me Miserable

Well, here's a guy you're usually going to have position on, so I wouldn't worry about your blinds so much in general. If this guy is out of line and a bad player, good ABC poker will be enough to take care of him. It sounds like you could play this guy as if he was on tilt all of the time.

Try this, though: every now and then go for an occasional re-steal against someone like this to test the waters... if you're lucky, he's the type to *consistently* come way over the top of you with a rediculous overbet (trying to push you around). In this case, that is what you want him to do.

Usually, of course, you'll fold, which will make him a little bolder - he'll think he can do this at will. With a legit hand, you can often commit this person to the pot before you even get to the flop.

You probably don't need this guy on your right to do well against him. If he's got a hard-on to play in pots with you all of the time, it might be better to be able to bet into him, esp. when it's his blinds. If he's shown a willingness to call your raises, you might prefer to be betting into this guy. I suspect having him two to your left would be a good situation for you - something tells me he'd over-defend his his blinds against you.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the local live poker games I play in I have this opponent who doesn't really care if he wins or loses, he just wants to attack my blinds and button every hand and make me miserable. He will raise every time I'm in the blinds, have limped in (or sometimes have the button) and he will get called by 2-4 people(almost as bad as him) who know he's raising with nothing. He will of course lose almost every time but he doesn't care - he got to attack me and he can afford to get stacked 3 times every night. What's the solution?

Here's some back story. The games are extremely loose and all one has to do to beat them is to wait for hands and have the donks pay you off. I might play only 10% of the hands, and that works just fine. My opponent is a very loose donk who will reraise out of the small blind with A3o and has no idea what he is doing. After awhile I consistantly beat him out of many huge pots and he became bitter about it. I became his archenemy in his little brain. Since he could never beat me post flop, he started raising my blinds and limps. I could never see a cheap flop. If it was just him with me on the flop I'd loosen up and call his raises with QJ but I don't want to call a raise out of position with a flop that will see about 4 people.

Playing with loose donks who don't really care how much they loose can be a god send except for when that donk enjoys beating on you more than he does winning him self.

Solutions I've come up with.

Trap him. Wait for big pocket pairs, limp in and reraise. But when those big cards don't come around - it will be a long night.

Humiliate him. If he's not playing for his own monetary benefit but for the psychological joy of pounding on me, I'll ruin his joy by mocking him every time he loses 20 to steal my 2. "How did that blind steal work that time, Mikey?" Maybe I'll keep a running tally on a piece of paper of how much he's stolen and how much he has lost, and then bring it up every time he loses another blind steal.

Any other tips or suggestions?

(This is basically the opposite of soft play which is your nice to someone against your own interests. This is like "Hard Play" where you are attacking someone against your own interests)

[/ QUOTE ]

now i see
Old 02-09-2007, 02:02 AM

Also, OP, you're asking for a solution - but I'm not sure if I see the problem. It sounds like you're doing well in the game....

I didn't read your post close enough at first, I thought you were struggling against the opponent, when I re-read I guess you aren't. Why change anything?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, here's a guy you're usually going to have position on, so I wouldn't worry about your blinds so much in general. If this guy is out of line and a bad player, good ABC poker will be enough to take care of him. It sounds like you could play this guy as if he was on tilt all of the time.

Try this, though: every now and then go for an occasional re-steal against someone like this to test the waters... if you're lucky, he's the type to *consistently* come way over the top of you with a rediculous overbet (trying to push you around). In this case, that is what you want him to do.

Usually, of course, you'll fold, which will make him a little bolder - he'll think he can do this at will. With a legit hand, you can often commit this person to the pot before you even get to the flop.

You probably don't need this guy on your right to do well against him. If he's got a hard-on to play in pots with you all of the time, it might be better to be able to bet into him, esp. when it's his blinds. If he's shown a willingness to call your raises, you might prefer to be betting into this guy. I suspect having him two to your left would be a good situation for you - something tells me he'd over-defend his his blinds against you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, thats what I meant. Gonzo uses better words tho, and more of them.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Humiliate him. If he's not playing for his own monetary benefit but for the psychological joy of pounding on me, I'll ruin his joy by mocking him every time he loses 20 to steal my 2. "How did that blind steal work that time, Mikey?" Maybe I'll keep a running tally on a piece of paper of how much he's stolen and how much he has lost, and then bring it up every time he loses another blind steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic.

I think both are pathetic.

It's just a stupid blind. Get over it. Taking it way too personal.

b
Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

- outplay him after the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

easily. I just need the right price for the right kind of preflop hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do you need a hand to outplay a scrub?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he'll call down his whole stack if he has top pair with any kicker (or any pocket pair - ten or better)
Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 PM

this is the best kind of game if you r patient, if you play good solid poker you will always have this problem because the donks who play everything get mad when you only play a few pots & always win.

my strategy is to play the suited connectors and pocket pairs even for a nice raise cus you can always count on stacking them when you catch your set & they hit thier top pair or whatever.

it could be alot worse!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:44 PM

also you should play with a smile & dont let his antics afdfect you in any way good or bad, if you show any frustration or try to out talk him you are actually giving him some satisfaction, he may be thinking "well im losing $$ but atleast i am getting under this kids skin". just ignore him and take his chips.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:27 PM

Even if you NEVER have a hand in the blind to call or reraise him with, and it would NEVER otherwise be raised if he wasnt stealing... how much are you losing?

If this is hurting you both to the benefit of the other loose/passives, it is by very, very little.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:23 AM

I think you are misunderstanding the power/objective of having position on him. When you are in the blinds, you are out of position. Having position means you get to act after he does. Use this to your advantage. Bet the flop when he raises pf and then checks. Peel a card on a draw when you have odds, like everyone says ABC poker with a little bit of focused aggression will do it.