Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Books: What are you reading tonight?

[ QUOTE ]

I also have "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" due for Tuesday. I read that today in one sitting. I really only thought it was "okay" but it was enjoyable on enough of a level that I kept reading. It was really interesting to see the narration from such a different tone (the kid is autistic).

Keep reading gents and ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this a few years ago. The novelty of the narration wore off quickly with me and the rest of the book seemed very mediocre.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Going to try and get through a few Supreme Court books the next few days; Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court by Jan Crawford Greenburg, The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court by Jeffrey Toobin, The Supreme Court: An Essential History by Peter Charles Hoffer, and Scalia Dissents by Kevin A. Ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this sounds like a thoroughly cool reading plan.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I finished Midsummer Night's Dream last week. In class we talked a lot about love and how it is played out both in real life and in the play. It made a great segue for watching Before Sunrise tonight. Fantastic play and movie. Yay.

I also have "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" due for Tuesday. I read that today in one sitting. I really only thought it was "okay" but it was enjoyable on enough of a level that I kept reading. It was really interesting to see the narration from such a different tone (the kid is autistic).

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote my term paper on the film, which was like 90% of our grade, of this done by Wilhelm Reinhard, who was the mentor of my professor, who absolutely revered him. Reinhardt was a monumental name in theater and pretty much invented the idea of the director. It was Mickey Rooney's debut. I totally trashed the film. I survived. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Still, not one of my favorite pieces, no matter how expressed.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 AM

Reading The Push Cart Man and Other Stories, a collection of graphic stories. Very spare so far, and it's part of a series of unrelated stories published only after the guy had been writing for like 20 years, which is unfortunate. But it's black and white, and I love the inescapable pure simplicity of line art, how the images rise and fall on their own merit. So far, about four stories in, there's a sort of aggravated anomie and unexplained loneliness, which I dig a lot. I look forward to the rest of the book. It's only 200 pages or so, but it's a beautiful hardback that I got at Amazon for a great price. I'm barely started with this author, but I hope he is a bit eliptical and existential, and I love both those things a lot.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this a few years ago. The novelty of the narration wore off quickly with me and the rest of the book seemed very mediocre.

[/ QUOTE ]

The novelty wore off for me too, at least to the point where I was no longer wowed by it. And yes, the rest of the book did seem pretty...bleh. I gave it 3/5* on Amazon and the other reviewers, on the whole, loved the heck out of this book. I don't get it.

We'll be discussing it the next two days in class, maybe I can understand why people love it so much.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I finished Midsummer Night's Dream last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote my term paper on the film, which was like 90% of our grade, of this done by Wilhelm Reinhard, who was the mentor of my professor, who absolutely revered him. Reinhardt was a monumental name in theater and pretty much invented the idea of the director. It was Mickey Rooney's debut. I totally trashed the film. I survived. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Still, not one of my favorite pieces, no matter how expressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen a film version of this play that I liked yet. I haven't seen them all, but I didn't really care for some old 60s version, or the Kevin Kline version, or some tricked out version with lots of weird doors and streamers in a dream. I plan to watch "Get Over It" soon from Netflix, just to see if maybe a modern version makes me enjoy it.

I don't understand how I can like the play so much but not the film versions whatsoever.

That's funny to hear about you trashing the film though. Pretty risky, glad you survivied [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I hope he is a bit eliptical and existential, and I love both those things a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you'll keep us updated on what you're reading, if it turns out to be such. I like the same and wouldn't mind getting my hands on some decent material of this nature.

Okay, end my string of posts for now.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 PM

anyone have an opinion on Rant, Palahniuks latest novel?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 PM

jd salinger is 88 years old now, does he have any manuscripts hidden in his closet? what do you think? its hard to believe that he could just stop writing. writers are addicted to writing right?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:14 PM

No, some just have one story to tell. And when they get it out of them, they're done. Lots of people only have one novel in them, and many just stop with short stories and never get to the novel stage.