Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Ebay sale issue

An item I listed closed and the buyer payed me within a few minutes of the close of the auction. the price was around $200 for the item. He emails about 10 minutes later saying the item was for his brother and his parents already bought the item, and could I refund his money?

I don't want a problem with him possibly disputing his credit card with pay pal. I was thinking of offering other bidders the 2nd chance and once one of them takes it, i refund this guy his money minus the paypal fee and the difference from his bid price to the price i get. is that fair? any other suggestions are appreciated.

Also, will I be charged an additional fee from ebay on the closing price, as it will apear I sold 2 items?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Ebay sale issue

This sounds very fair, I would tell him exactly that.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 AM

I'd say all sales are final and if he wants to resell it, that is up to him. He can tell his parents that he just bought it and his parents can take it back to the store or whatever.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An item I listed closed and the buyer payed me within a few minutes of the close of the auction. the price was around $200 for the item. He emails about 10 minutes later saying the item was for his brother and his parents already bought the item, and could I refund his money?

I don't want a problem with him possibly disputing his credit card with pay pal. I was thinking of offering other bidders the 2nd chance and once one of them takes it, i refund this guy his money minus the paypal fee and the difference from his bid price to the price i get. is that fair? any other suggestions are appreciated.

Also, will I be charged an additional fee from ebay on the closing price, as it will apear I sold 2 items?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to do this inside the e-bay system. If you both show that you agreed not to complete the transaction, it should erase your closing fees. Because you're selling to the 2nd person, they will charge you those closing fees. When you refund the guy's payment from Paypal, it will automatically take the fees back too. So if he sent you $200, you got $195ish. When you refund the money, the $5 in fees will be refunded as well, so you're not out any money at all.

If you think that your item went for more than it should have, you should maybe think about asking if the parents can return it. If you expect that the 2nd chance guy will take it (or have already offered and he's accepted), just write the guy a note saying you understand and move on.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only give a refund if you want to. If he has a confirmed shipping address and you send him with Signature Confirmation (I beleive paypal requires a sig over $200, but it might be $250) he won't be able to dispute with paypal.

If he tries to dispute with his credit card paypal's seller protection will cover you, and paypal will get really pissed off at him, freeze his funds and lock his account.

If you do want to give a refund, it's alread been stated that eBay will return your Final Value Fee, just select the option that "buyer and seller have mutually agreed... blah blah"
Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You should be able to do this inside the e-bay system. If you both show that you agreed not to complete the transaction, it should erase your closing fees. Because you're selling to the 2nd person, they will charge you those closing fees. When you refund the guy's payment from Paypal, it will automatically take the fees back too. So if he sent you $200, you got $195ish. When you refund the money, the $5 in fees will be refunded as well, so you're not out any money at all.

If you think that your item went for more than it should have, you should maybe think about asking if the parents can return it. If you expect that the 2nd chance guy will take it (or have already offered and he's accepted), just write the guy a note saying you understand and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

thx to everyone for their comments. i can't find where we can mutually agree on not completing the transaction. do i need to report a dispute explaining the issue?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thx to everyone for their comments. i can't find where we can mutually agree on not completing the transaction. do i need to report a dispute explaining the issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's how to get it started [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM

I have been a powerseller on ebay for over 5 years. I would offer to refund it minus ANY AND ALL fees you incurred during the sale. This includes the origianl cost of posting , the final value fee and the cost to re-post the item.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say all sales are final and if he wants to resell it, that is up to him. He can tell his parents that he just bought it and his parents can take it back to the store or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty douchebag move, imo.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:13 PM

i made a 2nd chance offer to the 2nd highest bidder. He didn't accept, so I informed the buyer that I was moving forward with shipping the item to him. Hopefully all goes well.