Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: UTG AA play $2 MTT

Early Limp and than flat call definetly disguises your hand. I don't think you need to be that tricky at those stakes as playing straight forward ABC poker seems to be the most profitable and as someone has already mentioned "no one is paying attention anyway". Raise it up the first time around TT will push and you'll get it AIPF
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM

I doubt he would have pushed 10's from an UTG raise. He didn't 3 bet aces in the CO the hand before.

I'm curious about the turn people say to push. He had pretty much what I thought and I felt he might fold to a push, but a lot of players don't think about the bet past the bet at low stakes. I feel he's on a 99-JJ-QJ-QK-QA range, and he has on average 3 outs, and I'm a 95% winner at the turn.....0% chance of a draw. If he folds to a 22k push on the turn (which I felt he might), but feels better about calling a 12k bet into a 35k pot I'm going to get it in on the river anyways, and there's no card that's going to stop me since if he hits whatever 5% holding he has good for him. I'm sure I'm wrong here, lol. But I want him to call when I feel I'm 95% winner, correct? If he could potentially fold to a push, and I make 2x as much money with him calling...does it really matter where I get it in as long as it's all in at the end, and he's all in with me on this straight-forward board?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:36 PM

One other thought, if you're going to limp to induce action behind from a short stack, you want him to have enough chips to push, and allow you to re-raise and get in a nice little squeeze play.

If you're only going to be allowed to call his push after 5 people called it already, you're in an ugly situation after flop with a slightly overinflated, protected pot, multi-way.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm limping PF I prefer limp/call to limp/raise since everyone automatically thinks that that is AA (although I think raising the first time is better than limping). I think flop is ok but just shove the Turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what level/site you play, but I have been seeing l/r with anything form 88+ to KJ at the FT 24K 8pm. And have been called when I l/r by hands like 77, TT, AJ. So I can't image what kind of action/hand selection you are going to see in a $2 tourney.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'de been watching, and the chip leader was raising fairly loosely on the button, so I felt confident that there would be some raising. The table didn't have many limpers at all. Mostly because prior to this hand there was two shortstacks that were going all in often PF, but they just got kicked out. I'de have trouble letting go of AA, but if the board wasn't perfect like it was I could let them go if I was beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like you have this hand under control. I think you played it well, even though one more rais on one of the streets wouldn't hurt. Maybe a rerais PF to isolate the first raiser.

As you said, if you are going to limp with aces you have to be able to let it go if you encounter a scary flop or heavy resistance.
Whats a better place to try this play than in a $2 tournament. It's a good place to practice this kind of play.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 PM

That's what I figured. Figured it's a cheap way to try things out, and see how people react in these tournaments. I like re-raising pf also, to get it in a heads up situation.

I ended up in 5th place btw out of 620 in this one. Could of had a good shot at winning, but caught a bad beat at the end.