Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Default 200NL live - 56s on paired board

1/2NL game, 8 players. Effective stacks of 200.

UTG raises to 11. I call in UTG+1 spot w/ 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Table is such that after one caller, most other people would call, so I called hoping people behind me would call, allowing me to see a multi-way flop with a drawing hand. Unfortunately, everyone else folded, and it's just me and the tight UTG raiser.

Flop (25) HU: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain leads out for 15. I call.

Turn (55): 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

River (85): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain leads out for 15. I raise allin. Villain folds.

I think my play on this hand was pretty bad. I called the flop, thinking that he was betting a midpair or maybe a whiffed AK, hoping to raise him off his hand on the turn. However, when the turn paired my 5, I knew my hand was good, but my brain froze up and I just called instead of raising. River, I think I should have raised a smaller amount, since the allin raise is overrepping my hand.

However, I'm open to suggestions. Any other more optimal ways to play the hand on all streets?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: 200NL live - 56s on paired board

I fold PF. I understand your rationale about callers behind, however, playing this hand OOP to those callers will be difficult as well. Wait til youre near the button to call any raises with this hand. As played I think flop is fine. I would raise the turn to 55ish.

On the river pushing all in is terrible. You wont get called by any hands that you beat (except for maybe an oddly played AA/KK) and if he somehow has a Q hes gonna stack you. Raise to 55 and hope to eek a bit more value out of 77-JJ.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise the turn to 55ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would raise turn here. Villain probably has some PP and raising turn might scare him away. Just calling allows him to make another blocking bet on the river. I think we usually can get more out of him that way.

I agree with you on the rest of your analysis though. Folding PF is best - your absolute and relative position sucks should others call behind you. River raise is wow! - you're only getting called by a Q.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would raise the turn to 55ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would raise turn here. Villain probably has some PP and raising turn might scare him away. Just calling allows him to make another blocking bet on the river. I think we usually can get more out of him that way.

I agree with you on the rest of your analysis though. Folding PF is best - your absolute and relative position sucks should others call behind you. River raise is wow! - you're only getting called by a Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was commenting I couldnt decide if a turn raise was best or if we shoudl wait until river. I think calling turn is ok as well FWIW.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2NL game, 8 players. Effective stacks of 200.

UTG raises to 11. I call in UTG+1 spot w/ 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Table is such that after one caller, most other people would call, so I called hoping people behind me would call, allowing me to see a multi-way flop with a drawing hand. Unfortunately, everyone else folded, and it's just me and the tight UTG raiser.

Flop (25) HU: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Turn (55): 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

River (85): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain leads out for 15. I raise allin. Villain folds.

I think my play on this hand was pretty bad. I called the flop, thinking that he was betting a midpair or maybe a whiffed AK, hoping to raise him off his hand on the turn. However, when the turn paired my 5, I knew my hand was good, but my brain froze up and I just called instead of raising. River, I think I should have raised a smaller amount, since the allin raise is overrepping my hand.

However, I'm open to suggestions. Any other more optimal ways to play the hand on all streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate the preflop call but I think the rest of your analysis is ok. I think calling the turn is fine, you probably got 15 more than you would have gotten otherwise. I agree with raising less on the river.