Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 05:07 PM

Default How do you play against a drunk who plays blind?

This happened to me on my last trip to Borgata on the 1/2 NL table. Some really drunk and still drinking guy sat down and was betting hard pre-flop without looking at his cards. At first I thought it was a yum-yum situation, and the whole it was, as that guy was going to make the whole table $200 richer in the long run, but in the short run me and the rest of the table tightened up significantly, and seemed to be at a loss as to how to play against him.

I changed my seat and sat to his left and figured that I should wait for good cards to bet for value (including the trap hands like KQ or AJ that I would usually fold), but that didn't seem to work either, and before long he was broke and thankfully left the table. In the future, if I'm unfortunate enough to encounter such situation again, what is the correct way to play against such clearly unpredictable and dangerous player?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that at some point during the hand he would take a look at his two hole cards, which increased the apprehension of the sober ones. While he would bet wildly pre-flop in the dark, he wouldn't bet on the later streets without a hand (or what he thinks is a hand, he once misread a straight, but there are some Omaha bracelet winners who've done that as well).
Old 12-25-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Re: How do you play against a drunk who plays blind?

[ QUOTE ]
This happened to me on my last trip to Borgata on the 1/2 NL table. Some really drunk and still drinking guy sat down and was betting hard pre-flop without looking at his cards. At first I thought it was a yum-yum situation, and the whole it was, as that guy was going to make the whole table $200 richer in the long run, but in the short run me and the rest of the table tightened up significantly, and seemed to be at a loss as to how to play against him.

I changed my seat and sat to his left and figured that I should wait for good cards to bet for value (including the trap hands like KQ or AJ that I would usually fold), but that didn't seem to work either, and before long he was broke and thankfully left the table. In the future, if I'm fortunate enough to encounter such situation again, what is the correct way to play against such clearly unpredictable and dangerous player?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Personally, I don't find the donations worth the trouble dealing with a degenerate person, not to mention the cost of him turning a friendly, soft table into a rock garden. That said, if it does happen, I want to deal with such a situation as best as I can.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Anyone else see the old guy who has to hold his cards up to like 2 inches form his face? They always have the dealer read the board to him...

"All I wanna know... are there three clubs out there? There are? Ok, I raise..."

Last seen at the Showboat.

Anyway, OP... reraise your good hands. Be grateful he's there.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't find the donations worth the trouble dealing with a degenerate person, not to mention the cost of him turning a friendly, soft table into a rock garden. That said, if it does happen, I want to deal with such a situation as best as I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it happens do what you did: wait to get good hands and re-raise.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the future, if I'm unfortunate enough to encounter such situation again, what is the correct way to play against such clearly unpredictable and dangerous player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, just wow!

This player is a wet dream! The only thing that keeps him from being the perfect fish is that he busted and left and did not rebuy.

OK, serious now. Unless this player is playing well post flop, you have an ideal situation here. If he is playing well post flop, well you have a fun time ahead.

Here is what I do... YMMV

1) I play more hands in position. The players raise is treated now as a blind to me. Avoid multiway pots with marginal hands, isolate with premium hands.

2) I will play more out of the blinds if I am fairly sure its going to be HU to the flop. Example maniac is in MP and makes his standard "I raise every hand blind raise" and it folds to me in the BB. I am playing here with many hands.

3) I am playing lots of hands versus this player. I want to see flops and showdowns with made hands. I am using a lot pot control for one pair and drawing hands. I am overbetting monsters and make thin calls/value bets with made hands.

The more hands I play against this player, the better my read will be and my aggression will ramp up. After a couple of hours I normally expect to be playing for stacks with any hand that sees a showdown.

4) This is a high variance game. Be prepared to lose and lose a lot before making a profit. If you can not mentally handle getting stacked with his crap hands with a laugh and a smile, its time for a table change.

5) There are a ton of meta game considerations in this situation. A lot of which doesnt translate well to this media. Let me just say that you need to keep this player happy and having fun. The last thing you want to do is run him off or let the table run him off. Otherwise he is going to hit and run on the table or he is going to bust and leave instead of rebuying into a fun game.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw the rest of the table. He is going to piss them off, stack them as they are going to overplay their AK, AA against his flopped two pair, flush, straight hands. He is going to drain the table of its money.

He is the one you want happy and playing. Let him take the hits and stack the other players, then you take their money when you stack him. But if you let them run him off... the game is pretty much over.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:31 PM

the clear answer is drunker blinder aggresion obv