Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 10:43 PM

Default \"How to Use Your Laptop as a Secondary Monitor\" thread

Ok guys, this is a question that we see here quite a bit.

"Can I use my laptop as an additional monitor on my desktop?" - The answer is Yes, as previously noted in other threads. This thread is meant more to actually show you how to do it.

There is a neat little program that allows you to do this, it's called MaxiVista. You can try it out for free here. This program allows you to use the laptop as a monitor across a network. You could also connect the computers via crossover cable, usb, firewire, etc.

Then, all you need to do is install the program on your main computer first, then the "client" application on the laptop.

In my configuration, I am running 3 monitors with the primary monitor being in the middle. I have it setup so my laptop (using MaxiVista) is on the left if I move my mouse there, and the CRT monitor on the right if I move my mouse there. You can see below.

And here is a picture of the setup. Definitely not balla-worthy, but it does what I need it to do with what I have.

If you have any questions or run into any problems, post them here!

/gold

edit: tagged images wrong [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Re: \"How to Use Your Laptop as a Secondary Monitor\" thread

Am I incorrect in thinking that to post an image the UBB tag is [img]? I put [image] first, but when I edit it [img] doesn't keep. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 PM

[image]
Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 PM

Alright, got it. For some reason it doesn't like working through my domain name. Odd...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:03 AM

Also worth a try is Synergy

Does a similar job I think, but also with Mac OSX and Linux machines if need be. Also it is Free.

Maybe it is missing some features tho, didn't check the maxivista site too much.

dave.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also worth a try is Synergy

Does a similar job I think, but also with Mac OSX and Linux machines if need be. Also it is Free.

Maybe it is missing some features tho, didn't check the maxivista site too much.

dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome man, I don't have time to check it out right now...

but thanks for the link! Open Source is always sweet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2006, 01:20 AM

I really want to do this but I have a couple questions.

1) My laptop is running OSX while my desktop runs XP, I noticed the program Dave posted should work like this, but will Maxivista as well?

2) how are your monitors connected? is there a cable connecting them directly or are they plugged in to the same router? something else maybe? I don't have any more space on my router to plug in my laptop, but it does have wireless. what do I need to do to make this work?

thanks a lot, great thread btw.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) My laptop is running OSX while my desktop runs XP, I noticed the program Dave posted should work like this, but will Maxivista as well?

2) how are your monitors connected? is there a cable connecting them directly or are they plugged in to the same router? something else maybe? I don't have any more space on my router to plug in my laptop, but it does have wireless. what do I need to do to make this work?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. MaxiVista will not work for Mac, yet they only support Microsoft Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista x86 or XP/2003 x64

2. It just has to be connected to your LAN. My laptop is wireless. Then you install the client on it and mine auto connected.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you. I guess I will try out synergy since that does work on my Mac. I will probably be back with more questions later, thank again.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you. I guess I will try out synergy since that does work on my Mac. I will probably be back with more questions later, thank again.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I'll have to try to get Synergy fired up so I can test it out just in case people have problems.