Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Put poker on resume?

So there's a big career fair at my college tomorrow. Gotta dress up all nice and bring your resumes.

Im a Finance major. I'm looking for a summer internship. As far as my resumes goes, mine is pretty standard. Worked at a company for about 2 years, but now looking for a job that will be beneficial after I graduate. About a 3.0 gpa.

My question is: Do I put that I've been able to pay for my college education through online poker on my resume? I'm trying to find a way to stand out from most candidates. Any invoice would be great.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Put poker on resume?

Anecdotally, I didn't and don't intend to. I think it'll just bring more questions than help you stand out. If you use the search, there's been a lot of discussion about this.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 PM

I would probably list it as a hobby and not a job if you decide to list it at all.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 PM

I would stongly advise against this. Remember many people in this world, especially those that do hiring, do not understand how poker is different from any other gambling game. They will likely think you live a reckless life and will only count poker against you. We all know its not true but that is what they are going to think. Think of other ways to make yourself stand out. Now after you get hired and someone asks if you would be interested in coming over for a home game...
Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM

hell no.

the only time you might be forced to is if you were an "adult" (not a student) who has a two year unemployed gap in their resume, without volunteer work to fill it or something.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 PM

Umm.... no.

If there's one thing you'll learn about the "corporate environment" (other than watching Office Space, I mean) once you get out of college, it's that the people who get up the ladder (the ones who will be looking at your resume) are usually the "safe" ones. The conservative ones. The yes-men that aren't threatening to their superiors.

The risk-takers, the people who live life on the edge, the people who would look at a professional poker player as somebody to be respected? They're all off starting their own companies. They're the ones running the small companies, who don't need to hire and brainwash college yuppies so they can get people to properly fill out their TPS cover sheets. These people don't waste their time sifting through bland resumes from a job fair. In fact, they probably wouldn't hire somebody right out of college in the first place.

The people at this job fair will not be impressed by your "hobby", no matter how much money you've made. To them, you're threatening. You're a loose cannon. Someone not to be trusted.

Don't put this on your resume. The only things that will impress them will be working 14 hour days for zero overtime, and being a scratch golfer. Other than that, their heads are solidly buried in the sand.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 PM

yeah, don't put it on.

think of it this way: how much good can it actually do for you? unless a serious poker player is reading it (highly unlikely), the best that will happen is they consider it a semi-interesting hobby. but really, there's not much value in that. it's not like hobbies are ever huge factors (if they're factors at all) in their decisions. i don't see it as something that will make you stand out all that much.

now compare the potential downside. for many employers this would be a huge red flag and would conjure up all the negative stereotypes that you're worried about.

big risk, small reward potential. better to just stay away from it.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm.... no.

If there's one thing you'll learn about the "corporate environment" (other than watching Office Space, I mean) once you get out of college, it's that the people who get up the ladder (the ones who will be looking at your resume) are usually the "safe" ones. The conservative ones. The yes-men that aren't threatening to their superiors.

The risk-takers, the people who live life on the edge, the people who would look at a professional poker player as somebody to be respected? They're all off starting their own companies. They're the ones running the small companies, who don't need to hire and brainwash college yuppies so they can get people to properly fill out their TPS cover sheets. These people don't waste their time sifting through bland resumes from a job fair. In fact, they probably wouldn't hire somebody right out of college in the first place.

The people at this job fair will not be impressed by your "hobby", no matter how much money you've made. To them, you're threatening. You're a loose cannon. Someone not to be trusted.

Don't put this on your resume. The only things that will impress them will be working 14 hour days for zero overtime, and being a scratch golfer. Other than that, their heads are solidly buried in the sand.

[/ QUOTE ]

a genius answer...
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM

Sure, if you want a resumgay.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:52 PM

do you go to auburn?