Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Wealth: all in the mind?

[ QUOTE ]
Completely understand where you are coming from. I always find myself wishing I had more and more money, but it's not like I really even spend nearly close to the amount of money I'm pulling in. It doesn't make any sense, but it seems like the more I make the more I want, even though I'm not even spending much of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'll concede that a lot of people are like this I just don't understand. I have friends with the same mentality. One guy in particular isn't rich but he has a net worth of about $300k and makes $80-90k/year yet drives a [censored] box car, had to move because his apartment got condemned for mold, and prefers to pre-drink when going out so he can spend less. I find this baffling.

For me the whole point of making money is to consume. Once you hit a certain number you'll be fine for the rest of your life. After that it is just a number printed on a statement. If I cut my burn rate I'd save a lot more but I think my income would decrease as I'd stagnate.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 AM

I have a similar state of mind regarding accumulating/spending. Its because I hate the idea of working. Every extra investable £1 equates to less chance in future of continuing to have to set my alarm every single weekday.

I have a goal in mind at the moment though - I don't need an entire living income from investments, but my goal is to have enough that (if I should choose to!) I could do random £25k/year jobs, searching for something I actually like, without being broke.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:00 PM

thanks for all the replies, i was interested to read how others view the long term so thanks for sharing your views.

i usually try to reply to every reply, but this isn't like a poker post where you can try to counter-argue to explain your point, everyone has their own view and everyone can be right based on their circumstances. but just becuase i haven't replied individually doesn't mean i havent read all the replies, i have, so thanks for posting them.

i think the perceived problem in a way is that i've never enjoyed playing online poker more, and i'm now really getting into investing, but to measure my success at both i look at how much or what return ive made. so that's why i want to make a lot, to reflect that ive done well at my interests, rather than to make money for the sake of it. however, in doing so, i have stopped and thought 'wait a minute, i have a lot of disposable income, shouldnt i be going crazy and spending it to increase my enjoyment' but i guess that in fact, my enjoyment is from having a laugh with friends, family, poker and learning about investing, and not in wearing the expensive clothes etc (although nothing beats getting shitfaced and going to an incredible stripjoint [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if your a guy, and can learn how to dance salsa, and look good doing it, and sweep and lead the ladies around the dance floor, you will score ALOT of points with some very HOT ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted.

Regarding OP:
Just enjoy yourself. Whilst money doesn't guarantee happiness, it sure helps you to be more flexible in life. I'm 22, finished Uni in the Summer and live in London and am financially sound despite not having applied for a job yet (pressing the 'submit application' button is tougher than you'd think). You have to realise that you are lucky to be 23 and to have no current financial difficulties.