Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: FAQ on WATCHES (x-post from \"I bought myself something\")

To be honest i somewhat like that one the least.
How about the 4th one? Or am i pushing it with that?
I want something people will notice is really expensive yet isnt too flashy
Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about baume and mercier, whats the deal with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Baume and Mercier make nice looking, relatively inexpensive watches, mostly in the 1000-2000 dollar range. Kinda classic looking mostly, nothing too sporty. Fine quality, nothing exceptional. Depends how much you like the look.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest i somewhat like that one the least.
How about the 4th one? Or am i pushing it with that?
I want something people will notice is really expensive yet isnt too flashy

[/ QUOTE ]

That one was my choice if you were ten years older. Certainly a really nice watch.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't owned a watch in years, and don't particularly like wearing one (it messes with my chi)... but when I do get one, this will be it:

Anybody know how much? It's hard to find the price for this beauty. "Rose Gold," never even heard of it before but wow.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the IWC Antoine de Saint Exupery. Relatively rare. The stainless version is about $5000 and the rose gold version is around $15000.

You have expensive taste in watches, sir [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually found a suggested retail price of 4.5k for irieguy on this model. i may have missed something in small print though.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 AM

I have a standard rolex oyster perpetual but I'm thinking I may want to get a second, more classic looking watch.

What does everyone think of this one:

Of course, I really prefer this one but don't think I can afford it:

edit: Upon further inspection I see my first watch has a solid back. I'd really like one like this:

Based on the style I've selected here, have any recommendations of an IWC or Panerai or some other classic looking watch up to 5k?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 AM

RoleofZ,

I'm totally not a watch expert, but I've always liked the look of the Rolex Air King (3rd watch in your post). It's classy and not over-imposing like some of the bigger watches around nowadays, especially for a younger guy.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:14 AM

iMsoLucky0 - you can't go wrong with IWC. They really are the very finest watches around. As for your selection, I like all of them although my favourite "classic" looking IWC is this one:

I'm a big fan of numbers over roman numerals or any other form of hour indicator. Numbers, I believe, suit younger gents more than the others whilst also maintaining a classic simply look such as the one above.

I haven't even looked but I reckon this will be between 3-4k at a guess.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 AM

Let me make another point about watches for the younger generation vs. the older. I know a lot of people here like a gold coloured watch however, gold is typically more suitable to an older gent. My personal preference is that I prefer silver and platinum. It's just pretty commonly known that gold is much better looking on an older person than younger.

Silver is associated with youth. Gold is associated with experience, refined, aged gents. Just look around at those creatures most of us can't live with or without - women - you will rarely find a young trendy girl wearing gold. They will nearly always wear silver or platinum.

Which leads me to another bit of advice. NEVER clash materials. For instance, if you have a silver watch, NEVER wear a gold wedding band. To the same tune, if you have a gold watch, NEVER wear a silver/plat. wedding band.

Serious fashion faux-pas there.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me make another point about watches for the younger generation vs. the older. I know a lot of people here like a gold coloured watch however, gold is typically more suitable to an older gent. My personal preference is that I prefer silver and platinum. It's just pretty commonly known that gold is much better looking on an older person than younger.

Silver is associated with youth. Gold is associated with experience, refined, aged gents. Just look around at those creatures most of us can't live with or without - women - you will rarely find a young trendy girl wearing gold. They will nearly always wear silver or platinum.

Which leads me to another bit of advice. NEVER clash materials. For instance, if you have a silver watch, NEVER wear a gold wedding band. To the same tune, if you have a gold watch, NEVER wear a silver/plat. wedding band.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any other tips on the colors of the dials and what they mean? I sort of want a watch that I can wear casually and at work in a business casual setting. Which colors work best here?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any other tips on the colors of the dials and what they mean? I sort of want a watch that I can wear casually and at work in a business casual setting. Which colors work best here?

[/ QUOTE ]

white and black go with anything. white is generally considered to be more understated/'classy' while black is a more modern/young look. a watch like IWC will wear well in almost any setting.