Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Default How to respond to a frequent re-stealer

I'm playing 100NL and I raise a lot as a steal (30%-35%). However, one of my regular opponents is reraising me a lot either from his BTN when I raise from CO but also from his blinds when I raise from CO or BTN - so he does both in position and out of position. My first reaction was to steal less often against him but that didn't stop him since he is probably using PT and he won't see my change in strategy at first (takes many hundred hands for it to display on the stats if he uses the whole history). After thinking about it I feel I have to re-pop his re-steals (often I raise to 3BB he reraise to 11BB) perhaps making it 30-35BB, but then I pretty much commit myself and many times I would really just be hoping for a lay-down.

Has anyone any good experience with this? If I want to re-pop after his re-steal what should my initial raising standards be from CO when he is BT and what should they be from CO/BT when he is in the blinds?

By the way we always both has at least 100BB and he plays aggressively after flop making pot-sized CBs. So when I just call his 11BB raise preflop, I have a commitment decision on the flop - which means I have to hit/connect good or fold.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: How to respond to a frequent re-stealer

He is bloating the pot out of position and making pot sized cbets, I would just keep raising hands like sc, pp, and hands that will make TPTK, then commit on the flop vs him when you hit (meaning, raise or push your straight draws, flush draws, top pair, and occasionally other hands). Show him that if he is going to [censored] with you, he's going to have to play for stacks.
EDIT: Not sure if this is the best plan, people have been doing this to me and I am not entirely sure what to do myself.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM

call a lot and semibluff shove some flops is very good if he cbets too much (both in frequency and in size,which seems to be the case)
Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 PM

30-35% is not alot. mine was 50 at a certain point lol. If you think you have an edge postflop, make looser calls when you got position, with hands like KQ J9s and stuff.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 PM

If he's 3-betting you OOP just start calling more in position, even with marginal hands. That should slow him down. If your OOP with a marginal hand just fold it most of the time.

If your in position with with a good hand u can either raise again to put it all in on the flop or just flat call, if your OOP with a good hand u need to raise it up obviously.

So just basically just playing back at him more... he can't have a great hand every time. I can assure you he's not feeling good at all when u start calling his 3-bet with KJ offsuite when u got position on him.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 PM

1. You do have to steal less often. If he doesn't notice, this is great: you will have better hands on average when he reraises you, which you can exploit for profit.

2. You also have to call his reraises more often. Then you have to float or raise his flop cbets some appropriate percent of the time. You can also 4bet a bit more. This is hard to do just right, but you gotta try.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:02 PM

Dont steal less often, if you steal like 30% of the time you allready arent stealing very much.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Hmm, you made me think of another line - maybe I should just limp (first in) from the BTN when he is in the blinds. He has a tendency to raise me even then and then I should be the one 3-betting. I think the line has a strong look of it and it puts the pressure on him instead of me.

Any comments on that?

Thanks for all the suggestions already.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Thereīs one at evey table..if itīs someone I play with a lot Iīll def start 4b him light and this often works..sometimes smooth call with something like 88+ or sc and get it in with a gutter+pair/oesd/fd ip.. the best effect is when you keep him guessing what you had then heīs def gonna slow down ..he feels he can run you over and heīs gonna keep doing it and force you into making mistakes....dont go for it keep you head cool..and then BOOOM!! gl

edit: spellcheck damn these spellchecks driving me to the LUNE
Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 PM

I just checked my PT. Normally I steal 35% of the time. Of course my steal attempts depend on how often the blinds call. Do you actually suggest stealing even more on average?