Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 12:28 AM

Default 25/50 Hand (Probably boring)

Never played with villain before. Early in session. He seems tight and perfectly good. Lots of different lines seem fine. Maybe checkraise turn? Maybe check/call river? Easy fold to the raise, right?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $25/$50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $7,184.00
BB: $2,733.00
<font color="black">Hero (UTG): $8,073.50</font>
MP: $5,464.00
CO: $6,863.00
BTN: $6,110.00

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $175.00</font>, MP folds, CO calls $175.00, 3 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($425) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $300.00</font>, CO calls $300.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($1025) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $800.00</font>, CO calls $800.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($2625) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1,500.00</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $4,000.00</font>, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $2,500.00 returned to CO

Pot Size: $5,625.00 ($3 Rake)

Edit: after more thought, i think i actually like check/fold on the river.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: 25/50 Hand (Probably boring)

I think it's an easy fold on the river, and even though you have a J in your hand I think with this action you get shown a poorly played TJ and AhQh/Ah9h way more often than anything else. People just don't tend to double float to bluff raise a UTG raiser's 3rd barrel on this board and I think a hand like KQ is going to want to get to showdown as opposed to making a thin raise.

I like the river bet both because I don't really think there's much reason to believe you're behind once you hit your king so let him talk himself into a call with a Q and because it obviously enables you to make a lot more 3 barrel bluffs in these spots.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 AM

I think c/f on river is probably better than betting but as played, fold. Your bet size makes it closer than it looks b/c he can rep a lot of strong hands by raising here.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:48 AM

I don't like C/R turn. Awkward stack sizes, he probably won't buy that you checked anything strong on that board. you'll probably get looked up way light.

I don't like c/c river because its hard to imagine him betting any of his holdings that you beat except busted diamonds and given he didn't raise flop I'd say that seems unlikely.

I doubt you're getting looked up here ever by worse hands unless you've gotten a nutso image.

I'd check riv and hope it gets checked through and MHIG
Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I doubt you're getting looked up here ever by worse hands unless you've gotten a nutso image.

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ/QJ/QT call here some for sure, I'm with FWF on b/f &gt; c/f
Old 05-16-2007, 01:29 PM

Do you really think so? The games have been real tight a lot of times I've played. If you are villain and you hold QJ/QT how would you justify a call here?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think so? The games have been real tight a lot of times I've played. If you are villain and you hold QJ/QT how would you justify a call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Missed diamonds+I don't think he value bets a king/one pair here. I don't play the stars 25/50 so maybe the games are such that people just don't call with a queen here, but I don't think it's that hard to imagine.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ike's image has something to do with it, though it's probably a little skewed for me. He was really aggro postflop in the instances we tangled. Obviously Ike's bet looks like it's for value but if villain is good he could interpret it as a fake value bet and if he is bad he could interpret it as a small bluff.

Guess that really sounds like wishful thinking, but meh...I think villain even calls with A9 sometimes, seeing as it's basically the same as QT.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:57 PM

I think you guys are wayyyyyyy overestimating villain's (Ike's read: "tight and good") tendency to make heroic calls or maybe I just haven't played with ike enough to know that he's superaggro or something. The K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is just too scary a card on this board for most guys to put him on a 3-barrel IMO. Also notice Ike opened UTG so to call him with Qx you gotta be convinced he has A:diamondX[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-type stuff, or airish [complete or JJ/1010/88ish]. And without history/crazy image its gonna be real hard for villain to put him on those last hands, esp if he happens to hold the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Probably not much to arguing this anymore, hopefully others chime in.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:26 PM

The stacks are a little deep to check raise the turn imo, I like betting as you did.