Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 03:47 PM

Default HD Tivo Series 3 Box / Offer

The new HD Tivo box is for sale at $799. While not cheap, there is a 'limited offer' to existing lifetime service customers to transfer their lifetime subscription for a one-off $199. Otherwise, best plan (pre-paying) is $369 for 3 yrs.

This seems to make the Series 3 a better deal.

Link to offer.
Link to box.
Link to price plans.

I am probably doing this. I have regressed to watching HD shows live, upgrading will mean I can record Lost any time AND watch it in HD AND skip through commercials.

Anyone done this already?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: HD Tivo Series 3 Box / Offer

my parents did it

i'm glad i use my cable company's dvr...has been hd and 2-tuner for over 2 years now

if u don't have that option, DEFINITELY get the hd tivo, as more and more things will be in hd in the future and u really shouldn't be watching non-hd programming on an hd when u can avoid it
Old 10-12-2006, 04:58 PM

There are series 2 HD tivos. They have been out for a long time and are ~$400. (At least they have them for directv. I assume they have standalones.)

Also, why do people want the lifetime deal so badly? Doesn't this situation prove that you're better off going month-to-month?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 PM

This might be somewhat of a hijack, but...

I'm currently unemployed, and have been paying the bills for seven months with poker. I may be getting a job in November, but can't count on it. I would LOVE to watch HD TV (especially sports), but there are a couple problems:

I don't have an HDTV TV. My main TV is HD capable but needs some kind of tuner thing.

I don't have any sort of HD service, to my knowledge. I just have basic cable. No digital cable, no on demand, nothing like that. I've assumed getting the most out of HD content includes updating my cable package. I live in an apartment so assume DirecTV is out of the question.

Worth it to buy a new TV (or HD tuner thingy) and pay every month for HD service?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:03 PM

I have had my Series 1 Tivo for more than five years now. I sure wish I had gotten the lifetime deal....would have saved about $500. Of course, I'm still glad I got the Tivo. I now have three DVRs in my house (a series 1 Tivo, series 2 Tivo, and an HD DVR cable box) and I make use of all of them.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:07 PM

i already have an HD dual tuner from Tivo....why would I need this??
Old 10-12-2006, 05:09 PM

I am still on the fence about wehther or not to buy this. I have 2 tivos, a 300hr hacked sony which i bought a few months ago and an old 80 hour series 2 that i gave to my parents. If I did buy the $800 s3, I would probably transfer lifetime from the 80hour unit and sell the 300 hacked one as I think I can still get solid money for it on ebay. The problem is justifying the series 3. Yeah, it's HD, but who knows whats going to happen in the next few years and tivo definitely [censored] us by a) making it so expensive and b) leaving out a few key features that they really shoul dhave put in.

I am hoping it will come down in price around christmas time, and then i plan on buying it then and doing the lifetime thing, since the expiration date is 12/25 or something. If it doesn't come down in price by then, I'll probbaly just suck it up and buy it anyway. THe 2 cable card slots is a must and it seems like a lot of the things they left out can esaily be upgraded (it's a software thing not a hardware thing) was my understnading....so we will wait and see. Of course, as much as i hate comcast if tomorrow they came out with a box that used tivo software i would probably just end up going that route.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Worth it to buy a new TV (or HD tuner thingy) and pay every month for HD service?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. If you do it through cable, you don't need a new tv and you don't need a tuner. They will provide you with the cable HD tuner box as part of your hd package.
If you have basic cable now (espn, tnt, etc) you are probably looking at $20-$25 increase per month. Call and ask.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This might be somewhat of a hijack, but...

I'm currently unemployed, and have been paying the bills for seven months with poker. I may be getting a job in November, but can't count on it. I would LOVE to watch HD TV (especially sports), but there are a couple problems:

I don't have an HDTV TV. My main TV is HD capable but needs some kind of tuner thing.

I don't have any sort of HD service, to my knowledge. I just have basic cable. No digital cable, no on demand, nothing like that. I've assumed getting the most out of HD content includes updating my cable package. I live in an apartment so assume DirecTV is out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got dish network hd dvr 2 weeks ago and love it. for the platinum package(almost all channels) i just pay 99.00 a month and i get 30 high def channels. i also live in an apartment. they hung the dish on the balcony(check your lease and talk to the apt people to make sure there are cool with it). cost me 245$ up front-50$ of that gets deducted off my first bill and had to commit to 1.5 years to get the price down to 99.00$ and it will go up a bit for the last 6 months of the contract but im loving it.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all this means is that u need an hd tuner...this would be a cable box or dish box from cable or satellite company or else an hd tuner if u wanted to get local hd channels over the air with an antenna

just call ur cable/dish company and ask them to sign up for their hd package and they'll give u the right box