Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 08:12 PM

Default QQ in SB vs. button min-raise

I posted this hand at about 3 am a few days ago and didn't get alot of response. I'm sorry if re-posting something is a bad practice, but the person involved in the hand wanted people to specifically address a certain thought process. Here's the specifics of the hand. I will add his idea a little further down.

MTT Aruba qualifier at UB, top 3 spots pay $10K Aruba packages - Hero has 2340 in chips in SB, posted 50, BB posts 100, 59 left Hero is in 48th. The button raises to 200.

I would like some advice on the optimal preflop play from our Hero's position. Call or Raise & if so, how much? I think it's probably a situation that's best to play differently at various times just to change up your play, but I'm basically looking for advice on the best play preflop and why.

The idea that our Hero wants people to address is if there's value in playing a small pot in this situation. Is it a better idea to make the small raise that was made and price the button into the hand in an attempt to extract more chips from him then to make a larger raise and win the hand preflop, or build a pot in which you would be committed to? And, if the flop was AK4, for instance, our Hero could get away from the hand in certain cases. What do you think? Is there merit in this type of play?

tigg_29 is at seat 0 with 9025.
JoshMonster is at seat 1 with 3930.
Deputydawg212 is at seat 2 with 4570.
WINTERS1 is at seat 3 with 6220.
kulley is at seat 4 with 3070.
ChiliKing is at seat 5 with 0 (sitting out).
Pollisis is at seat 6 with 3805.
poorkey is at seat 7 with 3445.
Hero is at seat 8 with 2430.
Arizona Munch is at seat 9 with 3270.

The button is at seat 7.

Hero posts the small blind of 50.
Arizona Munch posts the big blind of 100.

Pre-flop:
tigg_29 folds. JoshMonster folds. Deputydawg212
folds. WINTERS1 folds. kulley folds. Pollisis
folds. poorkey raises to 200. Hero re-raises
to 550. Arizona Munch folds. poorkey calls.

Flop (board: 5c 8s Th):
Hero bets 600. poorkey goes all-in for 2895.
Hero goes all-in for 1880. poorkey is returned
1015 (uncalled).

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:
poorkey shows ? ?.
Hero shows Qs Qc.

Turn (board: 5c 8s Th 9c):
(no action in this round)

River (board: 5c 8s Th 9c 2h):
(no action in this round)

Results to follow.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 PM

Default Re: QQ in SB vs. button min-raise

I like a bigger raise preflop to 700. Lead bigger on the flop. If he flopped 2 pair then oh well, but you have to get your money in here.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Re: QQ in SB vs. button min-raise

I dont think you ever said if the opponent was a tight player or not. A preflop reraise lets you buy info. cheap depending on how he plays the game, if he is really tight and calls then you know what he basically has. If the guy is real loose and commits around 1000 of his 3200 remaining you should still think he has a decent hand, although you are likely a favorite. If you had only 2400 and are in 48 of 59th remaining, you will need a lot of chips to get far in the tournament, so re-raising preflop another 500-650 and then getting called and picking up the pot post flop would've certainly helped you out. QQ is a huge favorite against random hands, you probably should not fear an all in after a re-raise to 600 unless you really felt his mini raise was suspicious.