Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: UFC 76

nearlyalex,

The judges have a hard enough time using a pretty simple ten-point must system (see: Rosales on Saturday, three awful scorings), why make it more complicated?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM

I think the main problem is that the judges are chosen the same way boxing judges are chosen, they're only criteria for getting the job is that they are connected to the athletic commission in some way. Until the AC's hire and train professional MMA judges, I doubt anything will change.

Imagine using hockey refs for a soccer match, cause the sports are sorta similar, in that they both have goals.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:50 PM

This is one thing that annoys me about all fighting sports. Some judges don't score rounds correctly and then give reasoning like, "It'd be too big of a hole to get out of... WTF?"
Old 09-24-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Forrest dominates Shogun yet lost to a lame, injured Tito and is KTFO'd by Jardine

- Shogun destroyed the current UFC LHW champ and beats Rog and Arona but gets schooled by Forrest

- Jardine gets KTFO by Alexander but beats Chuck

- Randy gets KTFO twice by LHW Chuck but beats Sylvia and the guy who destroyed CC

- CC destroyed Wand who destroyed Rampage twice who now destroyed Chuck twice, where Chuck also destroyed Randy twice who just took Gonzaga to school but we also now Gonzaga just ran over CC

- Rampage gets run over twice by Wand and once by Shogun, struggles past Lindland (MW), Yoon (noob) and Ninja but comes to destroy the longtime dominant UFC LHW champ with one punch in a fight that goes like 2 minutes

- Anderson Silva gets tapped by B fighter Takase, not only gets tapped to Chonan but has much of the fight to stand with Chonan and does not establish a clear upper hand but earns the UFC MW title in like a combined 5 minutes

Anderson also struggles somewhat to finish Lee Murray but takes Rich Franklin's belt like a kid

- Chonan, who stood toe to toe with Anderson gets KTFO in seconds by Baroni and Hendo

- Hendo gets outfoxed by Misaki

- Misaki gets beat at MW by longtime WW Frank Trigg who lost 4 recent fights at WW

- Hendo goes the distance with Rampage in a very tough, competite fight even though he just destroyed Wand who destoyed Rampage twice

- Nakamura struggles and barely takes down Machida but tosses Randleman on his ass twice with picture perfect tds

- Trigg destoyed Charuto and Hallman, 2 guys who either arguably beat Hughes or beat Hughes twice but Hughes of course owned Trigg twice

- CC has his way with big guys like Barnett twice and Aleks E but struggles and loses to Check Kongo and gets ran over by GG

- Bustamente takes Ramapage down where Randleman failed

- Dave Menne gets KTFO by Baroni in seconds though Menne has stood against and beat Pele

- Gomi get choked out in minutes by Aurelio who gets dominated by Ishida who gets destroyed by Gomi

-Nick Diaz has trouble hanging with the best in the UFC and schools Gomi.

............soooooo, what does this all mean for the UFC vs. Pride arguement, really?

Anyone want to argue with me about MMA variance again? Igetbadbeat, i took you off ignore. it was more annoying not seeing what you posted for whatever reason. But yeah, feel free to criticize my whole point that MMA variance is way higher anyone thinks. That's not really even a complete list btw. I don't think with two quality guys you can ever say that you are sure -350 is a good bet. maybe when cans are involved, but buyer beware. When you think you know exactly who will win, you get bitten.

But then, my theory would require that everyone not know everything all the time. I think part of the reason people don't like the whole "appeal to variance" idea on ridiculous lines is that it shows we really don't know as much as we think we do.

Which we don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are reasons for every example you cited, these reasons are clearer in hindight but even in hindsight many people dont' seem to get that the fight was not a deterministic event. What happened is not neccessarily indicative of what could have happened and what was likely to happen.

Styles make fights, that's something people don't get. DO, I hope you don't feel like I'm out to get you because I"m not. A lot of the times when I read trixtrix or Mikey's posts I go "A %$*#&in Men", where as when I read yours I generally scratch my head. But when i scratch my head I come up with stuff that has helped me a lot, so it's more that I enjoy arguing with you for my own monetary benefit.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said earlier in this thread if someone thinks there is value in a fight and don't bet it because of likes or dislikes they are holding thereself back. Regardless if someone is a pro poker player who makes $300 an hour or if they are just a small bettor. Can't believe people actually want to argue that [censored]. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

not betting on a +EV event is like "costing yourself money?" that's what you're trying to say right?

I'd agree with that.

So what, I'll pay to enjoy the event as opposed to "make money" on the event.

Not agreeing with my reason is understandable....not getting what I'm trying to say is LOL @ U!

Dude, seriously $500 isn't going to change my life one bit, I've dropped 4 times that for a good time (strip club ldo) And betting against Chuck would of made me have an unfun night.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like I said earlier in this thread if someone thinks there is value in a fight and don't bet it because of likes or dislikes they are holding thereself back. Regardless if someone is a pro poker player who makes $300 an hour or if they are just a small bettor. Can't believe people actually want to argue that [censored]. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

not betting on a +EV event is like "costing yourself money?" that's what you're trying to say right?

I'd agree with that.

So what, I'll pay to enjoy the event as opposed to "make money" on the event.

Not agreeing with my reason is understandable....not getting what I'm trying to say is LOL @ U!

Dude, seriously $500 isn't going to change my life one bit, I've dropped 4 times that for a good time (strip club ldo) And betting against Chuck would of made me have an unfun night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel you, no need to defend yourself. Anyone who doesn't understand you might be better off for their purposes anyway. I have made many no plays when I wanted to bet against a favorite fighter of mine. We have to pay for some entertainment in our life whether it be a stripper or fights.