Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Default To skip Calc II or not

Hi, I'll be a freshman at Villanova in the fall. As of now my major is Mech. Engineering. I took Calc AB senior year and got a 5 on the AP exam, so I have the option of placing out of the first two semesters worth of calc.

The description for Calc II is :

"Integration (indefinite, definite), applications of integration (area, volume, applications to physics and economics, etc.), methods of integration, approximate integration (trapezoidal and Simpson's rules), improper integrals, differential equations, infinite sequences and series. Continued use of a computer algebra system."

We only went up to chapter 6 or so in the book, so we covered everything described except infinite sequences and series (at least I'm pretty sure we didn't). Is that basically everything that is covered in BC? I don't want to have to go over everything about the intergral or not, but I also don't want to completely skip over the whole infinite series and sequences thing. What do you think I should do?

fwiw, this is the description of calc 3 :

Description: Parametric equations; polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates; vectors and the geometry of space; vector functions (derivatives, integrals, curvature, etc.); partial derivatives; optimization; multiple integration and its applications; vector calculus (line integrals, vector analysis). Continued use of a computer algebra system.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: To skip Calc II or not

never took a calc 3 equivalent course but i say jump to calc 3. it doesn't seem to have overlap that you're missing, plus if it does, the extra work you put in on those materials will be worth taking one less class.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:04 PM

I'm always wary of placing out of something from HS to college.

I took 4+ years of Latin, entered Intro to Latin in college, and we made it through the end of Latin III HS material.

Obviously languages are different, but unless you need to skip in order to get ahead or take less classes, I'd go with the class. If it ends up being a lot of repeat and refresher, then hey, you got an easy class that will boost your GPA.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Calc III is pretty easy. You don't really use sequences and series for that course so that shouldn't be a problem. As long as you know how to integrate and differentiate, you'll be fine. Then again, when you take a even higher level math course, knowing series and sequences well is a must. If you are willing to go over series and sequences in your own spare time, take Calc III. If not, stick to Calc II and boost your gpa.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Just take it. Volpert is decent. Hartmann is ok as well. It should be an easy A, which is nice when you are settling in first semester.

I know people who tested out of Calc I and still took it.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM

I am quite surprised they allow you to pass out of calc II from just the AB test. The calc II curriculum at your school is probably less in depth than the equivalent at my school (description of calc II: Techniques of integration, first order ordinary differential equations, conic sections, polar coordinates, vectors, two and three dimensional analytic geometry, infinite series).

I have never heard of anybody who has been glad to retake a class they got AP credit for, but have talked to many who have regretted retaking a class.

I would say skip the class and go to calc III.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM

I found calc 2 to be harder than calc 3 and series and sequences aren't that important for a mech e. major unless you plan on going to grad school and/or taking more advanced math classes. I placed out of calc 2 as well but retook it again and I guess I don't regret it since a strong calc background is good for the more advanced engineering classes, but I wouldn't say it was necessary.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 AM

lol, donk it all
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Place out of Calc II. I took BC Calc AP test, scored a 5 on it pretty easily and then tried to help my friends with Calc II homework and could not get it for the life of me. But I got an A- in Calc III.

Pass out of it and party more.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calc III is pretty easy. You don't really use sequences and series for that course so that shouldn't be a problem. As long as you know how to integrate and differentiate, you'll be fine. Then again, when you take a even higher level math course, knowing series and sequences well is a must. If you are willing to go over series and sequences in your own spare time, take Calc III. If not, stick to Calc II and boost your gpa.

[/ QUOTE ]
What sort of upper-level math courses will require knowledge of series and sequences? I passed out of Calc 2 too (luckboxed a 5 on the BC), but I'm trying to go for a Math minor. I have to take: (407) Probability Theory, (408) Mathematical Statistics, (458) Numerical Methods, and (466) Dynamic Modeling. Does it sound like I am screwed for any of these classes if I don't re-learn sequences and series (we breezed through it in two weeks in high school, and I don't remember a single thing)?