Wont change the station 34 20.61%
Dislike them 8 4.85%
Cant stand them 12 7.27%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Gauging Ron Paul Support

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't that pic/chart that Niels is spamming also present a danger to the freedom side, namely that the powers-that-be will be able to reach more gullible masses to re-enforce their ranks? Is that a concern, or is the house of cards falling so rapidly that this doesn't matter.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

The "powers-that-be" are already the ones in control of the communication, so freer communication can only circumvent them. Now, it's possible that they'll take control of the Internet at some point, but I don't really see how short of some serious tyranny that even the tamest sheep would be bothered by. More likely would be them simply saturating the Internet and drowning out the dissenters with their "message," which isn't humanly possible at this time, but might be possible if they develop an AI to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been playing MGS2? Actually that was an AI to filter information, but the premise is essentially the same.

Cody
Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Gauging Ron Paul Support

"I doubt very much that libertarianism is a popular ideology. "

I think you're correct. Ever since man arose from the swamps, there has been a tendancy towards collectivism. By organizing into nation states and city states, and seperating ourselves from the rest of the world, as one group above the rest, we allowed pockets of culture to grow. Ever since the Sumerians people have been moving in favour of collectivism and authoritarian systems; the arguments for collectivism are base and simple. 'us against them' or 'we are the best' or 'they are evil' or 'this is how it is, accept it' etc. etc. etc. The arguments for liberty and freedom are seem overly subtle and vague. Why should one man, through individual rights, be allowed to stand up to one million? Why should the rights of the individual trump the desires of the majority?

Until you've seen it work so perfectly, it's almost impossible to understand.