Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: The Well: iMsoLucky0 (2.6.07)

iMso,
Do you have days when you play online and you just don't have it? You just can't fold, can't concentrate, bluff too much, wife is bitching, etc... But of course you still play and somehow build a huge monster stack in a tourney. Everytime I'm in this position I always fizzle away my chips in the same manner that I got them, through donking and sucking out. Do top players such as yourself even have this problem? And if so, how do you deal with it? Is their a trick?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great thread Jordan.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been my favorite well.

Do you, like, all the time get the "You're married? How old are you?!?!?!?!?!" type questions? I find that it's quite common and gets a little old (married my high school sweetheart at 20 as well).

Also, have you ever felt bad or sympathy for the person you took a huge pot from live, either cash or MTT?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Good Job Jordon. Thanks for taking the time.

I married my HSSH, too, and it's a good thing - she's still hot and I'm old, balding and fat. I couldn't do that good if someone said 'go' right now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
iMso,
Do you have days when you play online and you just don't have it? You just can't fold, can't concentrate, bluff too much, wife is bitching, etc... But of course you still play and somehow build a huge monster stack in a tourney. Everytime I'm in this position I always fizzle away my chips in the same manner that I got them, through donking and sucking out. Do top players such as yourself even have this problem? And if so, how do you deal with it? Is their a trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's weird, but back when online MTTs used to be my main game, I almost never had days like this. Then since I started playing more and more live tournaments it really became a problem. What I had to do to overcome it was absolutely make sure that I wanted to play and put myself in an environment that was conducive to that (i.e. my headphones on, in a quiet room, make sure my wife knew not to bitch at me that night, etc.).

I don't think there's some simple trick that you can use to fix this, but it's more just changing your mindset and attitude or at least recognizing how you are feeling on a given day and reacting accordingly. One thing that can help is to slow down and put in more effort than you want and evaluate each situation more than just pointing and clicking. If you make yourself take 30 seconds for each decision instead of 2, you may find you don't 'fizzle' out as much.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread Jordan.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been my favorite well.

Do you, like, all the time get the "You're married? How old are you?!?!?!?!?!" type questions? I find that it's quite common and gets a little old (married my high school sweetheart at 20 as well).

Also, have you ever felt bad or sympathy for the person you took a huge pot from live, either cash or MTT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you guys. I've enjoyed it too.

Yes, I get that "OMG HOW OLD ARE YOU IS THAT A WEDDING RING" quite a bit. It was much much worse when I was 21 and had much more of a babyface than I do now. It does get kind of old, but now I just explain to the people that I'm the oldest 22 year old they've ever met.

As for feeling bad, yeah, I mean, I'm a human being and I feel compassion. One hand at a 10k tournament, I was playing with this older gentleman and I limped with 85cc, he raised from the blind, it came K high with 2 clubs, he bet I called, turn gave me a gutshot, he bet, I pushed, he called with top set, and I won the pot for the chiplead. I could see instantly that it just crushed him. He was a mild-mannered guy and he took it very well but it was obvious it hurt him alot. It's times like those when I suck out on good people that I feel kinda bad.

Now, when I took 77 and busetd Mike Matasow's JJ at the 1k rebuy at the WSOP this year, I rejoiced in it, because i love busting loudmouths.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM

First off Jordan, i really appreciate what you are doing, answering questions for ANYONE who has a question for you...and i want you to know that nowhere else on the web is there an opportunity to have a Q and A forum with a top rated player such as yourself...

My question: if you could give 3 pieces of advice to extreme poker noobies (such as myself), only three main points to help them succees in poker...what would you tell them?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:22 PM

1) What's your favorite poker site, and why?
2) What's the biggest NL cash game in which you think you're +EV?
3) What's your approach to rebuy periods?
4) Would you consider posting the HHs from one of your online wins?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 PM
 is offline

Favorite 80s song?
Favorite 80s movie?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also love to check this out. If not now, then i will ask again, on the day of your daughters wedding.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) What's your favorite poker site, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokerstars, because they have the best support.

[ QUOTE ]
2) What's the biggest NL cash game in which you think you're +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now? Probably 10-20 NL, but maybe 5-10, but that's just because I've played less than 10k hands lifetime of online NL cash games. I'm starting to work on this now and I doubt it will take me very long to move up.
[ QUOTE ]
3) What's your approach to rebuy periods?

[/ QUOTE ]

To build a stack that puts me at an advantage over the other players after the rebuy period.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A while ago I posted HHs from I think 3 tournaments that I won. Durron hosted them and it was a decent thread but it didn't get a whole lot of feedback. If someone will search for theses posts, I'm pretty sure the files are still hosted. Those would probably be the only HHs of my online wins that are still around.