Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Wynton\'s routine needs help (long!, but funny little diagrams)

I'm afraid I can't solicit views without making this lengthy.

I'm about 170 lbs, around 5'9 1/2", soon to be 44 yrs old. My basic goals are to lose 5-8 pounds, maintain that weight and do the right amount of exercising that will help prevent injuries. Thus, I don't care at all about getting bigger for the sake of it. It's also important to note that I am a virtual free-weight newbie.

My routine for the last month or so is as follows. I play tennis (4.0-4.5) Tuesday and Friday mornings, between 60-90 minutes. I get to the gym (NYSC) Saturday, Sunday and either Wednesday or Thursday morning. Also, I've changed my diet a lot in the last couple of weeks, based upon much that I've read here.

Now, my schedule cannot change much, unless I am able to spend a lot less time in the gym each time I go. On the weekend, I spend an hour on an elliptical machine. The first 15 minutes are basically warming up. The next half hour is an interval program, which consists of alternating 2 minutes of genuine all-out sprinting, and then 2 minutes at a very easy pace. On the weekends, I then devote about 15 minutes to doing 4-5 nautilus machines (which will be posted below in photos). Each weekend day I use different machines, but there is little logic to my choices how I divide that up, frankly.

When I go to the gym once during the week, I go on the elliptical machine for just 30 minutes, 20 of which is the interval program I described above. Then I do all of the machines that I divided up during the weekend.

Before I discuss the machines, I'll mention a couple of other things. Perhaps the main reason for this post is that I assume I should be doing free weights instead; but I don't know which ones, or any other details. And, if possible, I would like suggestions about starting weights.

Also, most of these amounts will probably seem laughably trivial to most people here. They are based upon recommendations I received from a personal trainer nearly 2 years ago. (I stopped using the machines for about a year, before resuming a month ago.)

Finally, the machines and weights chosen are also based on some suggestions I had from a physical therapist once. In that regard, I note a few problem areas.

(1) Knees. I have some arthritis in the knees and do not want to overtax them.
(2) Shoulder. A couple of years ago, I had problem in one shoulder, which I think was diagnosed as a pinched nerve, resulting in some therapy. That problem has disappeared.
(3) Back. Almost like clockwork, every 3-4 months I pull a muscle in the upper/middle part of the back, not that far from the shoulder blades.

With all that in mind, here are the machines I use. Please suggest how I should transition to free weights (unless you think it's unnecessary).

On the machine below, I do 2 reps of 15, with the weight at 150 lbs. This weight is definitely too easy for me, but I haven't bothered to see how much higher it should go.

This machine actually causes some stress to my knees. Again, I do 2 reps of 15, but am only comfortable going at 50 lbs. I believe that amount is roughly appropriate for me.

For this machine, I do 2 reps of 15 at 90 lbs. This is another one which is definitely too easy for me. Maybe another 10-20 lbs would be difficult. (And remember, I'm using some of these amounts based upon an old recommendation.)

This is the hardest machine for me. I set it at 60 lbs (using the top set of handles), and can do 1 set of 15 comfortably, but a second set no more than 12 usually.

Same settings as the prior machine, though this one is easier. I can handle 2 reps of 15 without too much difficulty.

On this, I go at 50 lbs, once more doing 2 sets of 15. This weight could be increased probably another 10 lbs.

Same thing for this machine. I use 50 lbs, but could be 10-15 higher.

Aside from these machines, there is one I could not find a photo of. It is supposed to be for the back, and involves pulling handles that are straight in front of your body, until your elbows are behind you and your hands are near your chest. I go at 50 lbs, but this amount is far too little for me. I might be able to double that.

Lastly, I do an exercise recommended by a therapist for the shoulder. I take a 5 lb weight, raise my arm up until it is parallel to my shoulder, 15 times. I then do the same thing, with my arm pointed out at a 45 degree angle. I was told to use this small weight because of the shoulder injury, which no longer bothers me. So, I'm sure I could go a lot higher, but have no idea whether it's even worthwhile.

I thank you if you've had the patience to read all this. And I thank you even more if you can make suggestions how I can do better, keeping in mind that I can only get to the gym 3 times a week (which includes twice on the weekends), unless I spend considerably less time when I go.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Wynton\'s routine needs help (long!, but funny little diagrams)

Squat/Deadlift/Bench/OH Press/Row
Old 11-08-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knees/Shoulders/Back
Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knees/Shoulders/Back

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuseaments?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knees/Shoulders/Back

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuseaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I pulled my lower back 2-3 weeks ago doing pendlay rows. I've been going to physical therapy since then.

You wanna know what my therapist said to me:
"Rows are great for your back so you must have been doing them wrong or using too much weight. Deadlifts are great too."

Basically, the knew physical therapy view is that anything that strengthens the muscles is good for them as long as you don't overexert yourself. And according to Rippetoe, deep squats put less pressure on the knees than half squats, which the leg-press machine pretty much mimics.

He recommended I go back to doing them (and just lifting free weights) as soon as possible. You just gotta be careful not to overdo the weights.

Wynton,
Do Starting Strength and start with just the bar (45lbs). Focus on perfect form.

After 2 weeks, start ramping the weight up each exercise that you can complete 3 sets of 5 reps with perfect form.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do Starting Strength and start with just the bar (45lbs). Focus on perfect form.

After 2 weeks, start ramping the weight up each exercise that you can complete 3 sets of 5 reps with perfect form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any idea how much actual time this would entail? And does that require a certain number of days per week?

As I mentioned, if I am going to spend 60 minutes or more at the gym - which includes my attempt to do HIIT on an elliptical - I can only get there once during the week, and twice during the weekend (when I can spend 90 minutes there). If I can do a worthwhile workout in much less time, then I can get there a little more often.

Also - if I stick to the same weekly schedule, is it reasonable to do all weights on one day and split them up on the weekend, as I currently do?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
he has a preexisting knee condition, probably shouldn't be doing heavy squats, although leg press probably would bother it more than squats.

During my physical therapy sessions they had me doing leg press, and I'd hear a click all the time in my knee. I can do bodyweight squats without hearing that click, which I assume is good.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For this machine, I do 2 reps of 15 at 90 lbs. This is another one which is definitely too easy for me. Maybe another 10-20 lbs would be difficult. (And remember, I'm using some of these amounts based upon an old recommendation.)

This is the hardest machine for me. I set it at 60 lbs (using the top set of handles), and can do 1 set of 15 comfortably, but a second set no more than 12 usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting you in a chair reduces the stimulus to rectus abdominus. The muscle recruitment diagram lies.

For the first: I think the pull-up is a great exercise.

For the second: The machine's stability may help you put more overhead--which may be a bad thing. Standing dumbbell press movements seem like a natural substitute.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This machine actually causes some stress to my knees. Again, I do 2 reps of 15, but am only comfortable going at 50 lbs. I believe that amount is roughly appropriate for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It hurts your knees and is generally a bad idea. Don't do that.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM

wow nice thread, very detailed, etc.

I wish I could help but I'm pretty young and haven't had any injuries, etc. Maybe try doing some squats, DL's, etc. with really light weight to see if it aggravates your knees, etc? Unfortunately, I suspect that it might.