Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Bax vs Steve ( Stars Stuper )

Bax is in the BB. Steve is UTG. I'm just an interested bystander.

I'm curious as to whats people put Bax on making a move like this. I think the hand that makes the most sense is a combo draw like AsJs.

In my somewhat limited experience playing with Steve, I think his opening range from UTG is pretty tight. Something like 10+, AK/AQ. If my range is correct, this seems like a terrible flop to push on without a huge draw since Steve is calling almost every hand in his range. I guess he folds AK if he doesn't have the flush draw. I think Steve calls here with JJ.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1423
UTG+1: t1350
MP1: t1400
MP2: t1725
MP3: t1010
CO: t2342
Button: t2915
Hero: t1235
BB: t1035

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t150</font>, 6 folds, Hero folds, BB calls t100 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t225)</font>.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t325, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB is all-in t885</font>
Old 05-11-2006, 09:38 AM
 is offline

Default Re: Bax vs Steve ( Stars Stuper )

KJ? 2 spades? AT?

Am I giving Bax too much credit?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:42 AM

that's a crazy line frmo bax, because a flop like that has hit or helped everything in steve's range except big slick. I legitimately struggle to come up with a reasonable range for this play.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

that's a crazy line frmo bax, because a flop like that has hit or helped everything in steve's range except big slick. I legitimately struggle to come up with a reasonable range for this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. At least I'm not the only one. If he hit a monster, check raise is the obvious play. I was shocked when he moved in. I haven't played with him a lot, but I've watched all his xfactor videos. I've never seen him make such a strange move.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. At least I'm not the only one. If he hit a monster, check raise is the obvious play. I was shocked when he moved in. I haven't played with him a lot, but I've watched all his xfactor videos. I've never seen him make such a strange move.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you think he was holding something like 1010,QQ+,AQ? Perhaps since he knew the flop helped Steve's range he was pushing to be less readable and hoped for a call?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:41 AM

even great players make stupid tilt-y moves sometimes. I think this was pretty clearly a massive mistake.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KJ? 2 spades? AT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're giving him enough. I'd be surprised to see him make the call preflop with KJ here, and likely AT as well.

I think AK is the most likely hand here, but how often would he move all-in preflop if he had it?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:57 AM

I think the only explanation is that he hit a monster (2 pair or more) and, putting Steve on a very strong hand and with his push looking like a draw, he shoved.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:58 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KJ? 2 spades? AT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're giving him enough. I'd be surprised to see him make the call preflop with KJ here, and likely AT as well.

I think AK is the most likely hand here, but how often would he move all-in preflop if he had it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Why not CR all-in with AK? If you're ahead, you're not very vulnerable to a free card coming off and you will undoubtedly get more value from a CR. And when you're behind, you get stacked regardless of how you play it.

Makes no sense to be AK, IMO.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:59 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
I think the only explanation is that he hit a monster (2 pair or more) and, putting Steve on a very strong hand and with his push looking like a draw, he shoved.

[/ QUOTE ]

But we do all realize and agree that this is a mistake, right? Even if almost all of Steve's range hits that flop.