Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: example of police coercion

Somewhat on topic: the cop who was taped "berating" the motorist earlier this month has been fired.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somewhat on topic: the cop who was taped "berating" the motorist earlier this month has been fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the kid was on alex jones show. cop got fired but no charges, I mean gee, the cop explicitly threatened the kid he would plant drugs or something and frame him. basically cops have to actually kill somebody (wrongly of course) to get any charges filed against them. also the cop tampered with evidence since he ereased his police car cam.

actually the kid was probably lucky he wasn't dealing with one of the really corrupt cops, as opposed to just a meglomaniac type like this guy. a really corrupt cop on discovering the taping (as this cop did during the stop) would have pulled the kid out of the car, stole his videocamera, planted drugs, and railroaded the kid on felony charges, maybe even shot him and planted a gun or something.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Basically he can pat you down for weapons and run your ID to see if your wanted, but THAT's IT unless your under arrest. The rest of your interactions with him are completely voluntary (they are trained to intimidate you so you FEEL like you have to go along with what they say/ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to show your ID? I was tailgating today on a porch and a cop came up on the porch and demanded to see everyones ID. I asked him if we had to show our ID but he side-stepped the question and never answered. I didn't show my ID and nothing happened to me but I am over 21.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have to show your ID?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the state you live in. Nevada has a law saying you do. It was challenged to the US Supreme Court and upheld. So, if you live in one of these states you have to do what your state law requires. Read carefully, they may need to meet some 'reasonable suspicion' standard, and you might be able to simply state your name rather than produce a document. As always if you want your rights to be more than theoretical, it is best to have the complete encounter videotaped, unless that's considered wiretapping in your state.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:14 AM

While googling around about the St. Louis case, I found this. I have no idea how reliable the site and/or info is, but if this is true, the man has a several-year history of antagonism with St. Louis area police. I'm really surprised this hasn't been mentioned in other news stories (again, if true):

[ QUOTE ]
Three months ago, participants in an online forum frequented by Saint Louis law enforcement personnel threatened to harass -- and even physically harm -- Darrow.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The young driver's encounters with Saint Louis area police began in March 2005 when an intoxicated, off-duty police officer threatened to kill him. Darrow escaped only to find himself arrested hours later. The city agreed to drop all charges against him on the condition that he waive his right to sue over the incident. The following year, a Saint Louis officer at a DUI roadblock said he would, "find a reason to lock you up tonight"

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In June of this year, Darrow had sparked outrage among the forum's members after he videotaped a disputed traffic stop involving what Darrow argued was a perfectly legal turn and what a Saint Louis police officer said was not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-23-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Basically he can pat you down for weapons and run your ID to see if your wanted, but THAT's IT unless your under arrest. The rest of your interactions with him are completely voluntary (they are trained to intimidate you so you FEEL like you have to go along with what they say/ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to show your ID? I was tailgating today on a porch and a cop came up on the porch and demanded to see everyones ID. I asked him if we had to show our ID but he side-stepped the question and never answered. I didn't show my ID and nothing happened to me but I am over 21.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your local state laws. I think in some states it is mandatory to show your ID to a police officer if he asks for it, or mandatory to carry one or something. I"m no expert.

I think you handled it great. You can always ask the police "Is that an order or a request?" If it's an order they will tell you, if it's a request they may spout other words out their mouth trying to scare you (and evading the quesiton). Unless you are detained you are consenting to all inteactions with the police. They are trained as to how to be in charge and stay in charge so they don't have to directly respond "It's a request" they can say any damn thing they want just like if I asked to see your id and you said is that an order or a request. I can start saying "are you tryin to get fresh with me?" or whatever the hell I want, I"m a free citizen and have freedom of speech. YOu have the right to walk away from me at any time.

That's why it's important to clarify you leagal status "may I leave?"

If it's an order do it, if it's a request your next question could be "am I free to leave" or "may I go now offficer"
Old 09-23-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Do you have to show your ID?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the state you live in. Nevada has a law saying you do. It was challenged to the US Supreme Court and upheld. So, if you live in one of these states you have to do what your state law requires. Read carefully, they may need to meet some 'reasonable suspicion' standard, and you might be able to simply state your name rather than produce a document. As always if you want your rights to be more than theoretical, it is best to have the complete encounter videotaped, unless that's considered wiretapping in your state.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that jams people up with the video taping is that most video recorders have mic's and there are different laws and rules about vidio taping things that are in plain view and audio recording someone without their knowledge.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:56 AM

Hi Bkholdem,

The two best books I’ve read on civil disobedience have been: Thoreau - Civil Disobedience, which is dated but excellent.

Thoreau

And Abbie Hoffman - Steal this book. This is also dated, circa 1960's, but read just the table of contents and you’ll be hooked. One of the most entertaining books I’ve ever read, although a bit radical and in my opinion, at some points, unethical.

Steal this book

For example, in his chapter under postage. Anytime you get a piece of junkmail, with "return postage guaranteed" just rip off the "return postage guaranteed" stamp and paste it to a box of garbage and send it off. The recipient must pay for the postage.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:57 AM

One thing I always wondered is when a cop pulls you over do they really have a right to run the passengers ids as well as the drivers?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bkholdem,

And Abbie Hoffman - Steal this book. This is also dated, circa 1960's, but read just the table of contents and you’ll be hooked. One of the most entertaining books I’ve ever read, although a bit radical and in my opinion, at some points, unethical.

Steal this book

For example, in his chapter under postage. Anytime you get a piece of junkmail, with "return postage guaranteed" just rip off the "return postage guaranteed" stamp and paste it to a box of garbage and send it off. The recipient must pay for the postage.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAAAA I am gonna be on the loookout for any return postage guarantee junkmail.

But what do you do scratch off your address or what ? the return postage guarantee has to go in the corner right, you can't address it back to the sender can you?