Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Mis-clicked..now what?

ITM in a $5 2 table tourney

Meh..I clicked raise when I meant to check. Villain has been very tight, but the bubble just burst.

I think this is a call. Right?

(there is also a 25 ante)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t9480)
Hero (t4600)
UTG (t2335)
Button (t10585)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t400, Button calls t400, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t2335</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero??
Old 09-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Mis-clicked..now what?

Umm yeah you're getting over 3:1.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 PM

You are getting 1:2,56

What do you expect UTG to play that way - limp with an M&lt;4 and push after your raise.

So if this is not a complete donk you will face an overpair here quite often where you would need 1:4 to call.

As UTG gets huge odds to push we can open his range somehow, but I still think a call is borderline here (but at least you can be quite sure you have two live-cards and some funny reaction on the chat if you call and win).
Old 09-06-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 1:2,56

What do you expect UTG to play that way - limp with an M&lt;4 and push after your raise.

So if this is not a complete donk you will face an overpair here quite often where you would need 1:4 to call.

As UTG gets huge odds to push we can open his range somehow, but I still think a call is borderline here (but at least you can be quite sure you have two live-cards and some funny reaction on the chat if you call and win).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my on the fly math was a little wrong, but so was your math, it's actually 2.89:1 (pot is 4435 and it's 1535 to call.) Unless you think the majority of villain's range is TT+ (which is pretty nuts given the situation) then this is a call. I know the limp shove may look scary, but the reality is that when you minraise he can't fold, and he doesn't really have the chips to just call, so he really has to shove just about anything...i.e. his shove means nothing more than the initial limp, since he has to shove there. So, if his limping range is only high pairs then you can fold, but I don't believe that is the case.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 PM

When a shortie like UTG limps and the pushes over a raise, this is almost always a big hand in my experience. If he has a pair TT+, you're not getting the right odds to call, and I think these make up a huge part of this range. You're getting odds if he has an AK/AQ type hand, obv. So if my big-hand assumption is right and his range is TT+, AQ+, you're 24% to win, which is just about EV neutral.

But of course that's a very tight range based on my history of having seen lots of people play big hands that way with short stacks. If you have any reads on this guy, that would supersede my guesswork here.

Anyway, if you fold you're left with just under 10 BBs, which is still a stack you can work with. You'll get at least one chance to open-push in the next three hands and you can recoup most of what you lost on this hand if it goes uncalled.

It's close, but I think I slap myself on the forehead for the mistake and fold it.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM

I spite call:

1. You are getting odds.
2. If you win, UTG is going to break something / kick his cat / get into a fight with his wife / fail his algebra exam the next day / tilt off his $200 BR / something like that. So, you have that going for you.
3. If you win, you will get absolutely no respect at the table. You will be able to push A10 planning to get called for value by K10o.
4. You can type in all sorts of awesome obnoxious [censored] in your chat box; the possibilities are so endless. Stuff like "LOL, you limped with AA" or "Nice play with AJo, fish" or "Nuts" or "Now that you're done, get your wife/sister off my lap" or "Sorry, I let my 7 y/o play a hand, LOL" something like that.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:20 PM

So does it turn out that all those minraises that piss Barry off so much are actually caused by mis-clicking?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spite call:

1. You are getting odds.
2. If you win, UTG is going to break something / kick his cat / get into a fight with his wife / fail his algebra exam the next day / tilt off his $200 BR / something like that. So, you have that going for you.
3. If you win, you will get absolutely no respect at the table. You will be able to push A10 planning to get called for value by K10o.
4. You can type in all sorts of awesome obnoxious [censored] in your chat box; the possibilities are so endless. Stuff like "LOL, you limped with AA" or "Nice play with AJo, fish" or "Nuts" or "Now that you're done, get your wife/sister off my lap" or "Sorry, I let my 7 y/o play a hand, LOL" something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] Best Hand Won
Old 09-06-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spite call:

1. You are getting odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome!!

thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When a shortie like UTG limps and the pushes over a raise, this is almost always a big hand in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a med/small pp that all of a sudden realizes his mistake and now thinks he wants to try to isolate and flip for his stack. I've seen that foolishness way too much lately.