Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Default A tough one (for PJ even though he\'ll probably hate it)

20/40 at borgata a while back.

I'm playing well running alright and listening to Michael Jackson.

Villian in this hand is a very tough post flop player. His opening standards are rather nitty though which means my pf 3-bet is thin (but that's besides the point cause I did it anyways.)

Villian open is HJ, I 3-bet A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] otb, he calls

Flop comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he checks, I check.

Turn 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]: He checks, I check.

River A nonspade: he checks, I bet he check raises.

Yes yes all streets are up for debate (except preflop please)

FWIW, when I say his opening range is rather tight pf means QJo is a maybe for him, and K7s is a most likely no.

Also, the player in question doesn't stab light but loves to C/R bluff/valuebet in his words "what happens if I put in 80 instead of 40"
Old 11-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: A tough one (for PJ even though he\'ll probably hate it)

Why the flop check?

Isn't he going to generally C/F two non ace overcards here(KJ, QJ types)

I hate the flop check just slightly more than the turn check. Which I also hate, but I think I can understand it a bit more.

On the river I think you got schooled, but you have to call.

I also don't mind the preflop 3 bet, provided you don't play it post flop like you did.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 PM

I'll give my full reasonings later, but you're right in general. The flop check is bad. I messed up the post too so I have to fix it. One second.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 PM

Alright, I'd really like an explanation on this one. This doesn't seem like this would be a standard line for you. I'm lost.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Pre-preflop: Michael Jackson is a solid play. You could also raise Prince.

Preflop: Thin 3-bet considering your read, but whatever.

Flop: I would bet here. Not sure why you'd want to give him a free 6-out draw if you have him beat, or why you'd let him take over initiative with AJ/AQ.

The rest of the hand would play different if you bet the flop, but after he checks the flop and turn I think it's pretty obvious he doesn't have a PP. That means what -- well it means he has AJ/AQ/AK/KQ, right?

Given that, there's no value in a river bet. I might be results-oriented, but it seems like he'll fold every worse hand on the river, but he'll own you with a c/r every time he has AK/AQ.

You may say, "If he had a better ace, why did he check the river?" From his standpoint you 3-bet PF and checked two streets in a row, so you probably have nothing or a monster. A bet will only get a fold. So he checks to induce a bluff or a weird value bet from a badly played PP. He c/r for value with AQ/AK.

So you might consider checking the river to re-own him for trying to own you. But having bet it (and in the heat of the hand maybe I would too), you should call a c/r to make sure he isn't making a last-ditch effort to steal it.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 PM

This was pretty much my thinking as well. After I bet the river I was like "hm that was pretty stupid."

He actually requested that I post this and discussed the flop, turn and river play.

Flop check is bad. I don't remember why I did it and therefore there is no good justification for it.

Turn check I think is better, he's never folding a pair, and he's tricky enough to c/r As/Ks there after I check the flop.

The river should be a check but you nailed it by saying "in the heat of the moment" I insta-bet he insta-raised and I instantly puked.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Pre-preflop: Michael Jackson is a solid play. You could also raise Prince.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I got a lion in my pocket and baby he's ready to roar

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Thin 3-bet considering your read, but whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a minor peeve with this comment. The 3 bet is -ev here, not thin. I constantly hear "oh it's close" or "oh it's thin" and it's really just mincing words and is conducive to the kind of slippery thinking that leads to FPS and other kinds of spewy silliness. I know we have some pride in our games, but this is FULL RING limit hold em guys. Blah blah chow meow play is often best, and when it isn't, it's never far from wrong.
The only way this PF is close or good (given OP's read) is if hero thinks that villain thinks that hero thinks that villain is playing tight, and will therefore give hero credit for a monster and play fit or fold on the flop.

Also, as others noted, villain plays well postflop, and unless hero thinks he has a good edge on villain, this PF is just bad bad bad.

Of course, I may be misinterpretting what is meant by "nitty." Nitty for this game may in fact be somewhat wide by my own standards.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 PM

Against tough players, you'd do well to think about your hand range on the river instead of the actual hand. What's your range?

I'd guess that you would never check an overpair twice. That leaves ace-high hands that now hold top pair, and, perhaps, bluffs like KQ or KJs.

Now, if you would also never check king-high twice (which I would expect), then that means that the hand you hold is in fact the very worst holding you could possibly have.

Given that, and the tough nature of your opponent, you should fold. He's probably good enough to recognize that your hand range is all 1-pair of aces type hands.

If you call, then you are saying that you have a read that he is bluff check-raising too much, given the pot size. Is he? Well, you did say that he can bluff-raise, but bluff check-raise? Too much? I don't have enough information to offer an exploitable play yet. So fold.

good luck.
Eric
Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 PM

so the river bet is for value? Why not just turn your hand over so the villan knows you are holding ATs-AK because thats exactly what your hand looks like on that river.

check behind, he is raising hands he beats and folding everything else. He might play a flush this way as well, once the A hits its EASY for him to get sexy on that river.

Pre-flop can be kinda hot, ignore those who say otherwise. Its very situational, if the situation was right then go for it.

flop - I won't even bother because its been said before.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 PM

On the river, after he checkraises, look at him, start laughing, and insta-3bet him. He'll put you quad 4s for sure, because he won't give you credit for being dumb enough to check any other hand behind twice.