Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: OT - Today, I am no longer a pro

As the provider, that whole 'doing enough' for the family is no doubt an age old struggle. But what matters most is the stuff that lies underneath - underneath that thin superficial layer of what our society would have us believe is enough. A father's/husband's time, attention, and genuine interest is plenty.

While it won't improve your sleep for the worry of finding the next mortgage payment (trust me, I know!), don't deprive yourself the solace of knowing that you are doing right by your family where it matters most.

Resigning to the options available to you is the end of the worst part (which it sounds like you figured out). Change is inevitable. [censored] happens. Getting clear of the fog - new beginnings can/should be rejuvenating. Uncertainty, doubt...meh, makes life interesting [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Keep taking care of the important stuff and there won't be anything you guys can't take on, shrug off, and continue on...together.

Bless you & your family bro!

Ps. We should have hooked up with some 2-for-1 legal advice! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 AM

gl man.

vbm
Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Les-
In life hard work and dedication pay off . . . we just have no idea of when. You're long on both those qualities and it sounds like you have a plan for the future. Being a professional poker player sucks, and the fact that you still enjoy the game after all this will allow you to enjoy it that much more when you don't need JJ to hold up against AT, which it never does when you really need it to, but always does when you're just playing for fun.

Good luck.
-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It seems like forever since we have talked. I hope everything is going wonderful for you. Is your "location" accurate?

Les
Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck to you. I'm glad thing are starting to turn around for you. Hang in there!

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be destined for greatness now. Wicks appeared in the thread and wished me well!

Continued good luck to you as well,
Les
Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 AM

congrats on the job, idk if i consider what u did "pro" but we all reserve our own definition for it, hope all turns out well
Old 05-02-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
congrats on the job, idk if i consider what u did "pro" but we all reserve our own definition for it, hope all turns out well

[/ QUOTE ]

Being considered a pro has nothing to do with skill level or income. If you get paid to do something that classifies you as a professional.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being considered a pro has nothing to do with skill level or income. If you get paid to do something that classifies you as a professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a "professional" poker player for the entire year of 1997....I went to the Bicycle Club 5 days/week; clocked-on at 9:00AM; played $20/$40 Hi-Low Stud until 3:00PM; went home (unless I got drunk &/or hooked-up w/skirt); I got paid $3,000/mo. (+/-)poker outcome....It was my sole source of income...My monthly nut was approx. $6,000...Then entire one-year experience cost me $50,000...I had a good time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]and there is no definition of "poker pro" that I did not fulfill [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Les-
In life hard work and dedication pay off . . . we just have no idea of when. You're long on both those qualities and it sounds like you have a plan for the future. Being a professional poker player sucks, and the fact that you still enjoy the game after all this will allow you to enjoy it that much more when you don't need JJ to hold up against AT, which it never does when you really need it to, but always does when you're just playing for fun.

Good luck.
-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It seems like forever since we have talked. I hope everything is going wonderful for you. Is your "location" accurate?

Les

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's accurate. I'm enjoying life as a semi-professional poker player. I tried working for someone else, and that lasted about six weeks before I got mad and quit. I hope you fair better.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Les, GL man, I'm rooting for ya. Sounds like you are on your way to getting life back on track. I hope things work out for the best and don't be a stranger to STTF just bc you're getting a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, wiggs. I def won't be a stranger. I have no intentions of "quitting" poker. I played quite alot during my last job, and I figure I will still get over 20 hrs in a week now. Once the bankroll increases a little, I may even mix in some sngs again every once in awhile for a change of pace.

Thanks,
Les
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Les, GL man, I'm rooting for ya. Sounds like you are on your way to getting life back on track. I hope things work out for the best and don't be a stranger to STTF just bc you're getting a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, wiggs. I def won't be a stranger. I have no intentions of "quitting" poker. I played quite alot during my last job, and I figure I will still get over 20 hrs in a week now. Once the bankroll increases a little, I may even mix in some sngs again every once in awhile for a change of pace.

Thanks,
Les

[/ QUOTE ]

you will never quit poker...its impossible [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]